Data Scientist, Inventory Analytics
Brooklyn, NY (Rent the Runway HQ)
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
Data is core to our growing business and has been ingrained in the company's DNA since its founding. The Data Science team is the engine that powers our data-driven culture. We extract meaning from RTR’s many, rich customer interactions and partner with decision makers across the company to turn insights into actions. Our team of well-rounded data scientists manages data models, defines and analyzes performance metrics, builds reporting, runs A/B experiments, and develops statistical and machine learning models.
About the Job:
Inventory is the largest asset on Rent the Runway’s balance sheet and among our most important competitive differentiators. We collect and codify a tremendous amount of information on the inventory we buy and how our customers use it. We are looking for a Data Scientist on our Inventory Analytics team to put this data to use, helping us bring more science to the art of fashion. In this role, you will partner with planners, buyers, and site merchandisers on the fashion team to bring analytical frameworks and statistical models to elusive inventory problems. What should we buy? How much should we buy? When should we buy it? Our unique business model - inclusive of subscription, rental, and resale - provides for a steady stream of novel problems. You will identify clever adaptations of solutions from other industries and flex your creative muscles to drive serious business impact!
What You’ll Do:
- Apply quantitative analysis and data mining techniques to uncover actionable inventory insights that inform buying and operational decisions
- Determine and calculate KPIs to objectively evaluate inventory health and performance
- Build tools and dashboards that showcase key insights / KPIs to various stakeholder teams throughout the organization
- Contribute to our inventory data model, creating new reusable tables with built-in data validations and extensible architecture
- Partner with business and engineering teams to ensure we collect the appropriate data
- Identify new opportunities to leverage data science for better decision-making (A/B testing, working with and developing ML models, etc.)
- You have a strong quantitative and/or technical academic background, such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Finance, or Physics (masters is a plus!)
- You have 2+ years experience in a data analytics and/or data science role, using quantitative analysis to solve challenging, real-world problems
- You have hands-on experience developing statistical models in Python and/or R
- You have a strong handle on SQL; you can comfortably navigate joins, subqueries, window functions, and common table expressions
- You have experience creating dashboards with a BI tool such as Tableau or Looker
- You have a track record of building strong relationships with cross-functional partners
- You’re able to communicate effectively with a wide-range of audiences
- You’re able to quickly learn new tools and data analysis methods
- You have a passion for data and its fundamental ability to create value
- You’re extremely curious and excited to dive into complex problems
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.