Senior Data Engineer, Pricing
Wayfair Analytics is the engine that powers an enterprise obsessed with data. We move fast, iterating quickly on big business problems. We work smart, applying technology to unlock insights and provide outsized value to our customers. We swing big, knowing our customers won’t benefit from micro optimizations. Leveraging the largest data set for products sold in the Home space, this team treats data as an asset and determines how to maximize its business value and extend our competitive advantage.
Here at Wayfair, we have over 10 million different products and partner with over 11,000 suppliers across the globe! Each and every single one of these products has various data points that are associated with it (dimensions, color, reviews, patterns, material, features, brand, etc…), so when you add all of this up, we are truly working with massive and complex data sets. We are using big data to change the way customers find and pick items to make their home a place that they love!
This Senior Data Engineer will be working collaboratively with our Pricing teams to develop the data infrastructure which enables our leadership team to make strategic decisions on product cost and price with our suppliers at the speed of thought through self service reporting.
You will have the chance to combine a knowledge of business and deep expertise in data engineering to own and deliver the right solution for the right business problem. Most importantly, you will have the opportunity to move fast, adapt quickly, and leave a lasting mark through the new solutions they deliver!What you’ll do
- Build data pipelines to assemble large, complex sets of data that meet non-functional and functional business requirements
- Build analytical tools to utilize the data pipeline, providing actionable insight into key business performance metrics including operational efficiency and customer acquisition
- Work closely with data architect, SMEs and other technology partners to develop & execute on the data architecture roadmap for the pricing functional area
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Customer teams to support their data infrastructure needs while assisting with data-related technical issues
- Act as a subject matter expert to leadership for technical guidance, solution design and best practices within the Pricing organization
- Be a technical leader to junior engineers, ensure the team is being challenged, expose your team to new opportunities, while still being able to deliver on ambitious goals.
- Keep current on big data and data visualization technology trends, evaluate, work on proof-of-concept and make recommendations on the technologies based on their merit
- 7+ years of Data Engineer experience working in partnership with large data sets (5+TB highly desired)
- Solid experience, developing and implementing DW Architectures, OLAP technologies, data modeling with star/snowflake-schemas to enable self-service reporting, Change Data Capture.
- Experience building data solutions within cloud platforms such as Google Cloud Platform (preferred), AWS, Azure, or Snowflake including building & optimizing applications on cloud based clusters
- Advanced SQL and programming experience with Python and/or Scala
- Experience or demonstrated understanding with real-time data streaming tools like Kafka, Kinesis, Apache Storm or any similar tools
- Great problem solving capabilities, troubleshooting data issues and experience in stabilizing big data systems
- Excellent communication and presentation skills as you’ll be regularly interacting with stakeholders and engineering leadership.
- Bachelor’s or Masters in quantitative disciplines such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Analytics, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Systems, or other scientific fields.
- Nice to Have: Hands-on deep experience with big data ETL technologies like Hadoop, Spark; and experience working with query engines like Presto, BigQuery or other open source big data Query & ETL engines.
- Nice to Have: Certification in one of the cloud platforms (AWS/GCP/Azure)
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.