Director of Data Engineering (Remote)
ezCaterGet office catering from restaurants near you. Check out menus, reviews, and on-time delivery ratings.
ezCater values technology, particularly data and machine learning, as a differentiator and a key component of our success. It powers everything we do. We push ourselves every day to better the codebase, improve performance, and deliver an amazing customer experience. Check out this CBS Boston article for a glimpse into our culture.
The Data Technology organization is unlocking new opportunities across the business by integrating data and machine learning across our products and business functions. We’re looking for a seasoned Data Engineering Director, reporting directly to the VP of Data Technology, to be primarily responsible for leading the Data Engineering and Data Infrastructure teams. The Data Engineering Team designs, builds and supports data platforms, products, pipelines, governance frameworks that powers analytics, business insights, data science, machine learning and our products.
As a Director for Data Engineering, you will be very hands-on, involved in designing and developing scalable data pipelines, platforms, and tools to accelerate data-driven business initiatives and products. You will work with cross-functional teams, including business, product management, engineering, data science, ML and analytics, to identify and prioritize data opportunities that will deliver material business impact. You should be able to tailor your communications to your audience whether collaborating with business partners or participating with architects in a design review. In addition to your strategic capabilities, you will be relied on to respond to tactical issues by being the technical backstop for your teams, guiding the teams and leveraging your extended network of relationships across the company to drive resolutions.
What You'll Do:
- Own the technical build of the Data Products and Platform, while driving automation on data platforms and products. You will ensure the data solutions clearly reflect and effectively solve the business problem in question.
- Define and implement best practices and emerging data technologies for data engineering, data integration, data modeling, data governance, and data security to ensure the platform is flexible, scalable, secure, compliant and performant.
- Accountable for the quality of your data platforms and products (availability, reliability, resilience, security, etc.) and adherence to consistent standards for engineering excellence.
- Understand and drive the architecture of data. Clearly communicate quality attributes and risks for data solutions and products to multiple audiences.
- Guide managers, technical leaders, and senior data engineers in carefully considering business goals, trade-offs, quality attributes, cross-cutting concerns, and risks prior to committing to design decisions.
- Responsible for developing and growing the leadership and engineering talent of the data engineering organization.
- Recognized as a champion of ezCater values.
- Responsible for people management duties across engineering teams including: team staffing, retention, goal setting/assessment, organizational culture, performance management and execution on strategic initiatives.
- Responsible for establishing and measuring metrics that track the performance of teams and the organization.
- Stakeholder management: collaborates with Business Leaders, Product, Analytics and DS to understand business goals, translate them to data initiatives, help the team with right prioritization and set a strategic vision for your teams.
- Responsible for the vision for data products and platforms and thought leadership across technology and organization.
- Should proactively research and understand industry trends in data domains.
- Responsible for building an organizational culture that values accountability, ownership, innovation, honesty, and continuous improvement.
- Responsible for establishing and maturing the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) processes in data platforms and improving deployment safety and speed through CI/CD.
- Influential beyond the technology organization. You have a deep network of cross functional peers who value your perspective.
What You'll Have:
- 10+ years of industry experience working with, designing, and building data products and platforms at scale.
- Experience with cloud based platforms such as AWS (preferred), Azure, or GCP.
- 10+ years of experience leading a combination of individual contributors, ranging from entry level to principal data engineers, and managers ranging from Data Engineering Managers to experienced senior leaders.
- Strong technical skills, including experience with real-time streaming (kafka, kinesis), ETL/ELT pipelines, data modeling (on Snowflake, Databricks) and data warehousing.
- Experience with big data technologies, such as Hadoop, Spark, etc. helping build data lake/mesh.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and business concepts to technical stakeholders.
- A track record of building strong cross-functional relationships and integrating a variety of perspectives with empathy first.
*Please note: Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise and region & may vary from the amount above. This range does not represent additional compensation benefits (such as equity, 401K or medical, dental or vision insurance).
ezCater does not sponsor applicants for work visas or legal permanent residence.
What you’ll get from us:You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) when you’re in one of our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.
Tags: Architecture AWS Azure Big Data CI/CD Databricks Data governance Data pipelines Data Warehousing ELT Engineering ETL GCP Hadoop Kafka Kinesis Machine Learning Pipelines Privacy Research SDLC Security Snowflake Spark Streaming
Perks/benefits: 401(k) matching Career development Equity Flex hours Flex vacation Health care Home office stipend Insurance
More jobs like this
Remote or San Francisco, … Remote or San Francisco, California Full TimeExecutive Executive-levelUSD 73K - 136K * USD 73K+ *
Director, Data AnalyticsBigQuery Computer Science Data analysis Data Analytics Data governance Data pipelines Data quality +20
Equity Flex hours Flexible spending account Flex vacation Health care +5
United States (Remote) United States (Remote) Full TimeExecutive Executive-levelUSD 73K - 136K * USD 73K+ *
Director, Commercial Data AnalysisBusiness Analytics Data analysis Genetics SQL Statistics
Career development Competitive pay Health care Home office stipend Startup environment +1
Remote, REMOTE, United States Remote, REMOTE, United States Full TimeExecutive Executive-levelUSD 97K - 175K USD 97K+
Adtalem Global Education
Director, Data ScienceCI/CD Clustering Computer Science Consulting Data analysis Data Mining Data visualization +17
401(k) matching Career development Flex vacation Health care Insurance +1
Remote, REMOTE, United States Remote, REMOTE, United States Full TimeExecutive Executive-levelUSD 116K - 210K USD 116K+
Adtalem Global Education
Director, Data EngineeringAgile APIs Architecture AWS Azure Big Data CI/CD +20
401(k) matching Career development Flex hours Flex vacation Health care +2
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Junior Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Statistics/Python/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Cloud Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst, Partner Development - (Statistics/ML/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst, Partner Development - (Statistics/ML/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs