Bioinformatics Research Engineering Intern - Summer 2023 (Remote)
South San Francisco, CA
FreenomeFreenome is a biotechnology company that has pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection with a simple blood test.
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
To fight the war on cancer, Freenome has raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including a16z, GV (formerly Google Ventures), T. Rowe Price, BainCapital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
About Our Summer 2023 Internship Program
Our interns provide valuable support and fresh perspectives to our teams as we work toward setting a new direction in the fight against cancer.
This is a 10-week program, designed to provide impactful work and foster an environment for learning and professional development through mentorship and networking opportunities. Throughout the program, our interns will be empowered to drive key projects with real business outcomes. This is a highly cross-functional and personalized program, offering guidance and support from our Hiring Managers and assigned mentors.
Our program is intended to begin mid-June and end mid-late August. The working hours for this role are 9am-5pm Pacific Time, with some flexibility determined by the Hiring Manager and leadership team. This position is open to remote within the US or onsite at our headquarters in South San Francisco.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, our Bioinformatics Research Engineering (BRE) team builds software and tools that allow our scientists to work more efficiently. We build the primary software bridge between the wet lab and data analytics platforms by creating systems to transfer, process, and store critical biological data.
Freenome runs several proteomics assays that are used to generate data in order to build and train models for early cancer detection. We have built a rich set of tools that enables users to analyze and draw life-saving conclusions from this data. It is the responsibility of the BRE team to build software towards enabling this data analysis through structuring, indexing and storing the data properly.
As a Bioinformatics Research Engineering Intern, you will help engineer a software interface (API) that increases the accessibility of this code base to non-engineering scientists. In particular, the internship will focus on extending and wrapping existing proteomics bioinformatics code in order to create that accessible API. You will meet with proteomics scientists and engineers to get a sense of the diversity of proteomics data generated and use that research to inform the API's construction. The outcome of the work done throughout this internship will increase the efficiency and independence of Freenome proteomics scientists making it faster and easier to identify new targets for cancer detection.
What you'll do:
- Learn how proteomics scientists interact with software in their everyday work to understand how software can increase their efficiency
- Design aspects of a data processing software API that proteomics scientists can extend to write their own software with a low barrier to entry
- Through the API's accessibility, increase the efficiency and independence of proteomics scientists at Freenome
- Through the API, enable Freenome proteomics scientists access to the research platform with less operational overhead
Your background, perspective and experience:
- Currently pursuing higher education relevant to the role
- Or alternatively, within 1 year post-graduation or post-certification
- Proficient in engineering basics and best practices
- Expertise and completed projects in Python
- Excellent communication skills including: the ability to interpret and communicate to users that have little to no engineering background
All interns will be hired through a third-party provider and will be considered contingent workers. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
More jobs like this
Salt Lake City, Utah, … Salt Lake City, Utah, United States - … Full TimeEntry Entry-levelUSD 30K - 108K * USD 30K+ *
Full-Stack Machine Learning Engineer- OPTIXBig Data Computer Science Data analysis Data visualization Hadoop Julia Machine Learning +15
401(k) matching Career development Flex hours Flex vacation Health care +2
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open BI Developer jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Junior Data Scientist jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Statistics/Python/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Engineer Intern jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs