Staff Decision Scientist
Decision Science & Analytics is responsible for driving data insights, experimentation and quantitative research at Zapier. As a team, we work across Product, Revenue & Growth, Marketing, Partnerships, Engineering and Support, proactively steering our business stakeholders to take data-informed decisions and deepening business understanding of opportunities and weaknesses.
Decision Scientists are semi-embedded into different business zones, developing tight-knit thought partnerships with key stakeholders. We’re hiring for a range of zones, so if you are a creative Decision Scientist interested in helping to grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living, this may be the right challenge for you!
If you’re interested in launching your career at a fast-growing and profitable company, then read on…
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You communicate complex technical topics clearly and in an approachable way.
You’ve collaborated with business leaders across Support, Sales, Revenue, Customer Success or Operations, and have outstanding stakeholder management expertise. As a collaborative thought partner you're gifted at explaining your findings clearly to a non-technical audience, and you’re comfortable with operating with a high degree of autonomy to proactively shape your roadmap.
You have 5+ years of experience in defining and analyzing large and complex datasets, in order to craft actionable business solutions to loosely defined problems.
You’re innovative. You're able to ideate and autonomously drive forward your own exploratory ideas for analysis and research, from discovery to impact generation.
You’re technically competent with relevant analytics tools (e.g. Python or R), including at least one SQL dialect - they’re all about the same; we happen to use Redshift.
You're experienced in designing and analyzing rigorous experiments of varying degrees of complexity.
You combine your strong business acumen with statistical competence (e.g. confidence intervals, regression modelling, significance testing).
You have hands-on experience with common machine learning techniques (e.g. predictive modelling, time series modelling, classification and clustering techniques).
You’re excited about helping your team and stakeholders develop their KPIs and self-serve dashboards. We believe in empowering our stakeholders to build their own dashboards and own their own first-order analysis.
You care about the details, and understand that without high quality instrumentation, we cannot drive high-quality, impactful insights.
You’ve mastered at least one data visualization tool: we primarily use Looker.
You enjoy collaboration and knowledge sharing. You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates with any level of statistical knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
You understand that perfect is the enemy of good. You will default to action by initially shipping solutions that simply work and work simply, while iterating as needed.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll get experience on many different projects to support our stakeholders. Here are some things you might get to help our teams with:
- Analyze user behavior to find and explain novel drivers of key Support outcomes, such as activation, engagement, upgrades and churn. Work with business teams to design, analyze and interpret experiments that help them to improve these metrics.
- Drive proactive analysis / research into high-potential green fields, including (but not limited to) defining data-driven customer segments and success signals to dynamically shape the Support experience; locating Support-related risks and opportunities through attribution data; figuring out which customers benefit most from various types of Support; figuring out how to boost Support’s contribution to revenue generation.
- Ensure all teams have insight to data and can answer their own first-order questions. Develop data literacy programs and provide easy to use tools with clear documentation, examples and tutorials.
- Perform basic ELT tasks to model new dimensions and facts in our data warehouse’s dimensional model. For the heavier lifts, you’ll be supported by Data Warehouse Engineering colleagues.
- Tools you’ll probably use include AWS Redshift, SQL, Looker, Matillion ETL, and Python or R.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
- North America
- New Zealand
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US, Canadian-, and UK-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Science Consultant Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs