Data Science Manager, Monetization (Remote)
Mountain View, CA (Remote)
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a remote-first company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
We are looking for an experienced Data Science Manager to join our growing data science team. Because Quora is such a data-driven company, our data scientists play a central role in the product development process by uncovering key insights from our data. The Data Team is highly empowered at Quora, helping navigate complexity and influencing product and company strategy directly. Quora's outsized commitment to data is visible in everything we do, from our rigor-driven experimentation processes to the backgrounds of our leaders. With this emphasis on data and empirics, we aim to balance rigor and pragmatism, searching for scrappy solutions in pursuit of our mission. In joining Quora's strong data team, you'll both benefit from and work to advance our culture of rational decision-making.
About the Role:
As a Data Science Manager, you'll work closely with a highly driven data science team and leverage your expertise by guiding the team in devising appropriate measurements and metrics, designing randomized controlled experiments, building visualizations, and tackling hard, open-ended problems. Quora has a wide range of rich data, giving you and your team ample room for exploration and creativity.
Specifically, you’ll be managing the data team for monetization where you will be driving improvement on our ads platform for both advertisers and consumers while also helping shape our new subscriptions product. Your team will also work on developing tools and infrastructure to scale and automate the analyses that enable rapid product iteration. As a data scientist manager, you will draw on your experience to excel not only in your own work but also to elevate data’s impact at a company-wide level. You will provide team mentorship that propels the work of your colleagues while helping to establish best practices for data usage across Quora.
- Lead and grow a team of data scientists
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to data scientists
- Identify opportunities to impact Quora's product strategy with data science insights
- Partner with teams such as Product Management, Engineering, and Design to collaborate on initiatives across the company
- Work with the data science management team to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes across the entire Data Science organization
- Work closely with Recruiting to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing, participating in conferences/events, and on-boarding new employees
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's coordination hours (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 5+ years of industry experience in data science or a related field
- 2+ years of experience in managing data science teams or track record of data science leadership excellence
- Excellent statistical intuition and knowledge of various analytical approaches
- Understanding of tools and infrastructure needed to support data science efforts
- Experience using procedural (e.g. Python) and database (e.g. SQL) languages in analytical contexts
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in a scientific or quantitative field, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated ability to clearly explain data’s point of view to cross-functional teams
- Curiosity and passion for Quora
- Experience helping to monetize an internet product
- Familiarity with online ad auctions
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure