Data Engineer (E2)
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
The Research Team of Ocado Technology is currently undergoing an expansion and we are looking to hire a data engineer to support and enhance the team's capabilities and to contribute to the innovation that fuels the growth of Ocado. The Research Team collaborates with external partners on a diverse range of projects. Initial projects are linked to simulation modelling of traffic and pedestrians in a 3D model of a real world environment.
- Design and build data marts for research and commercial data
- Perform coordination of research and commercial data, define data platforms and analytical tools, handle the usage of data and database systems requirements
- Engage in the definition of data governance and data working groups
- Evaluate and outline data governance procedures, implement process improvements
- Closely collaborate with other research teams and external project collaborators
- Advise on appropriate methods to collect data including batch/sample size and techniques used to optimise the data gathering process
- Ensuring transparent and ethical data access policies and compliance with the data protection regulations
- Research and recommend industry practices that could benefit your team’s delivery
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- Proven numeracy and ability to think analytically, e.g. PhD or MSc in a scientific subject
- Experience and passion working with data and data management, data structuring and design skills
- Understanding of the data governance principles, data sharing and transparency of the access policies
- Experience and/or understanding of the data infrastructures to support real-time data flow, and data generated by machine learning algorithms
- Ability to write and optimise SQL queries
- Knowledge of databases and best engineering practices
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A keen eye for detail, with the inquisitiveness and drive to understand things in depth
- Speed of learning, ability to quickly pick up new ideas and use a wide range of tools to solve challenging problems
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely with technical and non-technical teams, both verbally and in writing
- Drive to continually improve and find better ways of working as a team
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Data processing and analytics, statistical analysis
- Knowledge of Google Cloud Platform (Compute Engine, BigQuery, DataFlow, DataProc, Cloud Storage)
- Any useful tools (e.g. Python, Java, modelling, advanced Excel)
- Previous experience working with large data sets
- Knowledge of data warehousing principles
- Professional or academic data-driven research
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts across Ocado.com and Fetch.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.