Staff Engineer - Machine Learning
Mountain View, CA
Title: Staff Engineer - Machine Learning
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Visual Display Intelligence Lab
Location: Mountain View, CA
At Visual Display Intelligence lab, Samsung Research America, we operate as a start-up while leveraging the broader assets of a larger global enterprise. We do advance research and development to immensely benefit our core business verticals in the space of Ads and Marketing. Our team primarily focuses on processing huge data sets, build robust and scalable big data pipelines, conduct advanced research in implementing state-of-the-art ML and AI techniques, build data services that are both real-time and batch based. All those combined provide the best-in-class experience to our customers across consumer electronics and internet of things. Many of our engineers take pride in publications, filing A-grade patents and build robust products and services.
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer you will primarily focus on building unified Audience platform by working directly with Product Managers, Lab leaders, researchers, Big data/AI/ML engineers, brainstorm different ideas and also build POCs and propose projects that cater to the broader business needs. If there is evinced interest to invest on those projects, you could lead them to fruition. You will help design machine learning models, data pipelines, maintain large scale distributed systems, help manage the modern data warehousing infrastructure, analyze key metrics for decision makers to provide visual insights that will change the company direction and benefit consumers. The ideal candidate will be someone who comes from a strong analytical background that has demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- Write efficient implementations of ML algorithms over CPUs & GPUs, deploy in production environment
- Build and maintain large scale distributed systems to support the whole pipeline from data collection and training to deployment and real-time serving
- Integrate our in-house systems with open source technologies like Kubernetes and Tensorflow
- Build abstractions to automate various steps in different ML workflows
- Build tools to debug, visualize and inspect various features and models
- Work with the engineers who use the platform, and help them be more impactful by improving the platform
- Strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals including object-oriented design, data structures, operating system, computer networks.
- (5+ years) Software development experience, ideally in Python, Scala or Java
- (5+ years) Experience with MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, Redis, Redshift, OracleDB or MongoDB
- (3+ years) Microservice-oriented architectures and related OSS technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Kafka, Celery/RabbitMQ, nginx, Redis, Airflow, etc)
- (3+ years) Experience working in distributed and streaming environment, preferably using Spark, Kafka, Flink etc
- (3+ years) Experience with AWS in an enterprise environment
- (3+ years) CI/CD and test automation frameworks (Cypress.io, Jenkins, Appium, UIAutomation, Bazel, etc)
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills
- Experience with leading large-scale multi-engineer projects
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.