Senior Data Scientist - Tumblr
We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and Tumblr! We're looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our Tumblr team. Communication with and empathy for our colleagues is a key part of this job - curiosity about the puzzles they face is a requirement. Data can be unruly: you’ll need to be prepared to face uncertainty and provide your best guess sometimes - our work is as much about cleaning and testing the legacy pipeline as it is about crafting excellent reporting and solving business problems.
How we work
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Enough about us, let‘s talk more about you. As a Senior Data Scientist you will:
- Apply data techniques to model user behavior & identify actionable levers for users.
- Define key metrics, conduct A/B testing, & oversee statistical measurement.
- Build data pipelines and reports that deliver meaningful insights to our product and business teams.
- Develop key data sets.
- Enhance analytics ETL pipeline & automate analytics tasks.
- Partner w/ Product & Engineering teams to identify trends & user growth.
- Apply quantitative, deep-dive analysis and data mining.
- Always be raising data quality. That includes auditing sources, documenting issues, driving resolutions together with other teams, and implementing well-documented, performant, and tested transformations.
- Perform ad hoc analyses to better understand customer behavior, needs, and individual test results.
- Summarize data and investigation through the presentation, dashboard, and other mediums.
- Partner with many other teams such as product, engineering teams to provide deep insights about business and product.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have a Masters degree (Stats / Math / related quant field).
- You have at least two years of experience with SQL.
- You enjoy building robust data pipelines, automating data tasks and data visualization tools.
- You enjoy probability theory, statistical inference & statistical hypothesis testing.
- You have at least two years of experience with Python and Jupyter.
- You have experience with machine learning techniques.
- You have experience with a business intelligence platform: we use Looker and strongly prefer experience with that platform, but other platforms and an ability to learn can go a long way.
- It will be a plus if you have some experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- You are comfortable working across teams to deliver analytics solutions and are familiar with common metrics for consumer products.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- You're able to communicate clearly with and about data to technical and non-technical partners.
- You're highly collaborative and experienced in working with business owners, executives, developers, and creatives to discuss data, strategy, and tests.
Curious about who we are and what we work on? Read our blog!
Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Please answer the following questions in a cover letter, as part of your application submission. Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- Tell us how the Data Scientist role fits into an Analytics organization, and how your experience and skills qualify you to play that role.
- Tell us about the time when you used analytics to accelerate business growth. How did you identify the opportunity, what actions did you take and what were the exact results of your contributions?
- Tell us how you worked with cross functional stakeholders to develop key metrics and a plan to identify trends & user growth.
- What questions do you have for us?
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.