Data Engineer (Remote)
Remote - United Kingdom
Are you ready to shape the future of media-rich learning experiences for students around the world?
Boclips has big ambitions. We’ve built an AI-led product that is transforming the discoverability of multimedia content for education. Multimedia such as videos and podcasts are critical in the online delivery of learning experiences to engage students and improve outcomes - but in order for those assets to provide value, they need to find their right place within the different learning curricula. That's where our data team comes in!
We are looking for a Data Engineer to work with our small and experienced data team, fully integrated with data science to automate the curation of educational media.
About the role
We have 2 million videos in our catalogue that need enriching metadata such as categories, education level, pedagogy (hook / explainer / context builder etc.). The data science team is building and improving models in these areas that need deploying into our production system and monitoring.
We have a vision to capture all data in a clean format that is easily queried. We need to improve and expand the pipeline to support this, define and improve the schemas being queried and ensure it can be used effectively by the business (currently we use looker).
- We deliver continuously, run experiments and communicate results in short cycles and ship code frequently
- We use TDD. Following the red/green refactor cycle of Test-Driven Development is enjoyable and helps to keep everything in perspective. It helps us as engineers to think through a problem, detailing required functionality through tests
- Data. Gathering events from users’ actions allows for better decisions on improvements and choosing new features
- Automation. As a startup we're still in the phase of building and optimising our internal workflows. We're continuously looking at ways to automate back office tasks to make everyone happy.
We believe in hiring for engineering aptitude over niche or deeply technical skills.
- You can communicate clearly to all audiences, including non-technical team members and external partners
- You advocate for writing high-quality code and leaving things in a better state than you found them.
- You’re a well-rounded data engineer who likes to understand the business context and anything else that might impact the product.
- Top level communication skills and in English
- A well rounded understanding of data lakes, data pipelines
- Used to working alongside data science
GCP, Kubernetes, Terrafrom, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, Bigquery, Looker
Nice to have
We leverage state of the art technologies to deliver our solutions. We expect most candidates will have some of the following.
- Experience working with GCP, Kubernetes, and Terraform
- Elasticsearch and MongoDB
- Data modelling and BigQuery or a similar technology
- Experience working with looker or similar technology
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines
- Experience deploying machine learning models
What We Offer (UK)
- Target base salary £60,000-£75,000 dependant on experience or location equivalent (with some flex dependant on experience).
- Annual bonus up to 10% of salary
- 30 days PTO (+ 9 public holidays)
- Fully-flexible working options
- Private healthcare with Vitality
- Penfold Pension Scheme 8% total contribution
- Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks fully-paid)
- Professional development budget
- Home office set-up budget
- Global off-sites in Europe or US once a year. Lisbon in 2022!
Outside the UK or US, we have two employment options, either contracting or via remote.com.
At Boclips, we’re building a product for education, which means we are building a product for all learners. Our platform and its content is viewed by thousands of students around the world every week who have different needs, abilities and backgrounds. That’s why we are committed to hiring people regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability so our team can better empathise with our users.
Other jobs like this
Data EngineerAirflow Athena AWS Databricks DynamoDB Engineering Pandas PostgreSQL Python Redshift +3
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Health care Salary bonus
Senior Data Engineer - DatabricksAgile Athena AWS Big Data Blockchain Consulting Databricks Data pipelines Docker Engineering +21
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Relocation support
NEW Intermediate Data EngineerAgile Athena AWS Business Intelligence DynamoDB Elasticsearch ETL ETL pipelines Git GitLab +12
Career development Flex hours Health care Startup environment Team events +1
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs