Research Scientist in Biomedical Natural Language Processing and Deep Learning
Oak Ridge, TN
Applications have closed
We are seeking a Research Scientist to work on Natural Language Processing (NLP) projects that leverage state-of-the-art deep learning models, high performance computing, and large datasets of unstructured clinical text. Example problems include extracting topography and morphology information from cancer pathology reports, using the Summit supercomputer to pretrain state-of-the-art Transformer language models for clinical and biomedical text, and developing privacy-preserving deep learning models that generalize well to clinical organizations across the US. There is flexibility in defining new research directions relevant to the problems and projects being tackled. The position will be in the Biostatistics and Multiscale Systems (BMS) group in the Advanced Computing in Health Science (ACHS) Section of the Computational Science and Engineering Division (CSED).
As a research scientist, you will have the opportunity to help solve some of the most challenging problems this world faces. You will perform ground breaking research on a wide range of significant problems with the fastest computing platforms in the world. This position requires novel thinking, teamwork, and discovery in finding new approaches for analyzing massive and complex data, collaborating with worldwide experts, and publishing groundbreaking results.
- Research, design, and implement scalable deep learning NLP solutions for clinical text classification, information extraction, and other related tasks on a dataset composed of several million cancer pathology reports
- Perform research with scalable Transformer-based models such as BERT using clinical and biomedical text data
- Author peer reviewed papers, technical papers, reports and proposals for internal and external release and represent the organization by giving technical presentations in large public forums
- Be a part of a vibrant collaborative research environment which will provide the opportunity to perform cutting-edge research in deep learning and high-performance computing using ORNL’s Leadership Class Supercomputer
- PhD in Computational Linguistics, Biomedical/Health Informatics, Data Science, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, or other discipline related to the job duties of this position.
- Experience identifying relevant and novel research directions and generating meaningful research outputs including papers and software
- Demonstrated experience working with text data and natural language processing techniques
- Demonstrated experience working with deep learning frameworks like Tensorflow or PyTorch
- Clear understanding of common data science methodologies and techniques, e.g. supervised and unsupervised learning, feature selection/engineering, hyperparameter optimization, dimensionality reduction, word embeddings, etc.
- 2+ years experience working in NLP and/or biomedical/health informatics research outside of Ph.D.
- Previous publications in high impact deep learning, natural language processing, or biomedical/health informatics venues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs