Would you like to tackle real world problems using advanced machine learning at one of the largest online travel platforms in the world?
Expedia Group is looking for a Data Scientist to join our core Data Science team in Geneva. Our mission is to help the organization understand, shape and optimize its hotel and vacation rental portfolio across the world. We create state-of-the-art machine learning models to make our travel platform more efficient and increase its relevance for travelers and hotel partners worldwide, for example by developing demand forecasting algorithms and optimizing our lodging supply accordingly. Everything we do has a measurable business impact. We build innovative algorithms that make intelligent, automated decisions, in batch and in real time, over most aspects of our lodging platform. We collaborate very closely with engineering, product and analytics teams.
In this role, you will handle large volume of data and apply advanced machine learning and econometrics to build algorithms powering critical business products. You will use the latest cloud and data technologies to train and deploy your models at scale. Test-and-learn is a very important cultural trait of how we work; if you can prove the positive impact of your approaches, you will quickly see them in production.
We are looking for a candidate with excellent modelling and coding competencies. Successful candidates will demonstrate sensible interpersonal skills, a good business sense and reasoning and a strong capacity to communicate to teammates and business partners. They should also feel comfortable taking care of multiple tasks, having end-to-end ownership of their work and be able to prioritize workload effectively.
What you’ll do:
- Work collaboratively with other scientists and engineers to prototype and implement scalable machine learning models
- Understand business challenges and formalize them into appropriate ML frameworks
- Gather and manipulate large volume of data
- Communicate in a clear and concise manner to your peers and business partners
- Keep abreast of the latest data science developments and share knowledge with the team
- Help the team develop proof-of-concepts and fulfill ad-hoc data/analysis requests
Who you are:
- MSc or PhD in a quantitative field like machine learning, computer science, statistics, applied mathematics/physics
- Hands-on experience with various machine learning and econometrics algorithms, with demonstrable ability to extract and combine data from multiple sources to develop ML models or automated ML pipelines
- Expertise in Python, R or Scala; good programming practice, ability to write readable, fast code
- Facility with SQL-like query language to do data extraction, transformation and loading
- Excellent oral/written communication skills.
- High level of intellectual curiosity and willingness to tackle complex/technical problems to generate actionable insights
- Experience working with large datasets in a distributed environment (Hadoop, Spark)
- 2+ years industry experience
Relocation (Y/N): Y
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world’s travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people’s lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you’re applying to engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
To apply for this job please visit expedia.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.
Please mention you found this job on ai-jobs.net to help us get more companies to post here 🙂