We’re looking for a Data Analyst to join the Decision Science team at Zapier, with a focus on either Marketing data or Product & Revenue data.
Decision Science & Analytics is responsible for driving data insights, experimentation and quantitative research at Zapier. We work across Product & Revenue, Marketing, Finance and Customer Support, steering our business stakeholders to take data-informed decisions and deepening business understanding of opportunities and weaknesses.
Data Analysts in Decision Science are semi-embedded into different business zones, developing tight-knit thought partnerships with key stakeholders. If you are a creative Data Analyst interested in helping to grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living, this may be the right challenge for you!
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you’ll take a leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Working on Diversity and Inclusivity
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we are looking for a candidate with a very specific skill set, the role will be tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you love to collaborate with data engineers, product / marketing teams, designers and engineers, customer support, and business operations experts.
You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You can communicate complex technical topics clearly and approachably.
You have outstanding stakeholder management expertise. As a collaborative thought partner you’re gifted at explaining your findings clearly to a non-technical audience.
You’re experienced in defining and analysing large, complex datasets, finding actionable business solutions to loosely defined Product & Revenue problems or Marketing problems.
You’re technically competent with relevant analytics tools (e.g. Python or R), including at least one SQL dialect – they’re all about the same; we happen to use Redshift.
You’re experienced in designing and analysing rigorous experiments of varying degrees of complexity.
You combine your strong business acumen with statistical competence (e.g. confidence intervals, regression modelling, significance testing).
You’re excited by helping your team and stakeholders develop KPIs and self-serve dashboards. We believe in empowering our stakeholders to build their own dashboards and own their own first-order analysis.
You’ve mastered at least one data visualization tool: we primarily use Looker.
You enjoy collaboration and knowledge sharing. You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates with any level of statistical knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious
You understand that perfect is the enemy of good. You will default to action by initially shipping solutions that simply work and work simply, while iterating as needed.
Bonus points for experience with common machine learning techniques (e.g. predictive modelling, time series modelling, classification and clustering techniques).
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you’ll get experience on many different projects to support our stakeholders in either the Product & Revenue or the Marketing space. Here are some things you might get to help our teams with:
- Analyze and present user behavior metrics, such as churn, activation, engagement and purchasing drivers. Work with product managers to design, analyse and interpret experiments to improve these metrics.
- Use a variety of statistical methods to explore and discover user and partnership insights in order to proactively guide a wide range of business decisions.
- Define and execute on measurement of different marketing initiatives across multiple channels and media.
- Ensure all teams have insight to data and can answer their own first-order questions. Develop data literacy programs and provide easy to use tools with clear documentation, examples and tutorials.
- Perform ETL tasks to model new dimensions and facts in our data warehouse’s dimensional model.
- Tools you’ll probably use include AWS Redshift, SQL, Google Analytics, Looker, Matillion ETL, and Python or R.
- As a part of Zapier’s all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
- Travel – as part of this role, you’ll be required to travel to our all-hands retreats 2-3x per year. They are typically in North America.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don’t seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
About Data and Decision Science at Zapier
Zapier relies on dozens of systems that emit data about Zapier and our potential and current users and partners. This data is vital for us to make a better product, better business decisions and understand our weaknesses and opportunities. Zapier’s Data Engineering team pull this data from DBs, APIs and through event streams, collocates it and then processes it through all the disparate systems to bring them together in a reliable, timely, performant and easy-to-understand way for staff and systems. Decision Science Is the primary layer between that data and our business stakeholders, driving deeper understanding of impact, patterns and business opportunities via quantitative research, analysis and experimentation.
Our data tech stack is best summed up by AWS Redshift (and related AWS products like AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Datagrip, Airflow, Python, and R.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
Our team of 250+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don’t have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don’t use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees. Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We’re excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.