We are tackling problems that span a variety of domains: computer vision, machine learning and real-time distributed systems. As a Computer Vision Applied Scientist you will help solve a variety of technical challenges and mentor other engineers while actively following our entrepreneurial culture that encourages us to wear many hats. On this early-stage initiative, you will play an active role in leading translation of business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables as well as build quick prototypes and proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team.
You will improve products and concepts as a direct result of your research while delivering significant benefits to business. You are well versed in the relevant literature and will have the ability to find, understand and adapt new state of the art methods from the core discipline as well as beyond to create breakthrough problem-solution pairs. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and you’ll have the opportunity to work with other technical teams at Amazon within and outside the organization. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that’s higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems that haven’t been dreamed up and much less solved at scale before – anywhere. Along the way, you’ll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
MSc or PhD (or equivalent level of competence) required in computer vision, machine learning, or related discipline
· Demonstrable depth and breadth in state-of-the-art computer vision and machine learning technologies
· Proven track record of innovation in creating novel algorithms and advancing the state of the art
· Ability to develop practical solutions to complex problems informed by latest state of the art and with limited guidance
· Experience in shipping products and learning from real customer feedback
· Ownership of delivery of end to end solutions with reusable and scalable components
· Strong communication and collaboration skills
· Publications at top-tier peer-reviewed conferences or journals, and or an interest in contributing to these
Proficiency in C/C++, python, TensorFlow, AWS systems
· Experience deploying Deep Learning solutions for images and video ideally for real-time systems
· Experience with designing and building large-scale systems in a multi-tiered, distributed environment (Service Oriented Architecture)
· Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and project planning/execution skills including estimating and scheduling
· Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities. Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly