Nestlé Research is based in Lausanne, Switzerland and employs approximately 800 people. It consists of four major research institutes: Health Sciences, Material Sciences, Food Safety & Analytical Sciences and Packaging Sciences. Nestlé Research combines fundamental science at the highest level, high-end analytical platforms leveraged by all research teams, and strong prototyping capabilities to accelerate the translation of science into innovation. Nestlé Research published around 1,000 scientific publications in peer review journals over the last five years, and files about 80 patents every year. Nestlé Research collaborates with approximately 100 universities or research institutes around the world. Learn more about Nestlé Research at www.nestle.com/randd.
Nestlé Research, Lausanne, Switzerland
Fixed Term Contract, 2 years
Activity rate 100%
To support its research strategy, the Data Science and Issue Management Department at Nestlé Research is seeking an Associate Data Scientist.
In this position, you will deliver data science expertise and/or consultancy to Nestlé Research projects linked to Food Safety and Analytical Sciences [data collection/data flow definition, analysis (Machine Learning, text mining, Bayesian Networks), comprehensive result communication (reports, dashboard, tool, …)]. You will also develop a data science mindset in Nestlé Institute for Food Safety and Analytical Sciences (NIFSAS) and in Nestlé Research in collaboration with other entities.
A day in the life of an Associate Data Scientist
Understand project background and objectives and gather necessary information (factors, constraints…) from Analytical Sciences and Food Safety experts
- Propose a Design of Experiments/data flow adapted to answer the research questions and integrating identified constraints and available resources
- Identify the best approach/model(s) to answer the research question
- Translate main results into relevant information for the food safety and analytical science activities, either through reporting or through tools allowing the model/approach to be used by defined customerProvide data science consultancy to NIFSAS project teams upon needs
- Coach NIFSAS scientists on some particular activities
What will make you successful
- PhD or Master Degree in Statistics, Mathematics or Computer Science,
- Good level in classical statistics
- Good interpersonal/teamwork skills and a good sense of business/technical interrelationship
- Working experience in your field of expertise in a support function and dealing with cross-functional teams and activities
- Good in written and oral communication in English
The Nestlé Group is the world’s largest food and beverage company with 91.4 billion Swiss Francs in sales in 2018. It is present in 190 countries around the world, has 413 factories and its 308,000 employees are committed to Nestlé’s purpose of enhancing quality of life and contributing to a healthier future. Nestlé offers a wide portfolio of products and services for people and their pets throughout their lives. Its more than 2000 brands range from global icons like Nescafé or Nespresso to local favourites. Company performance is driven by its Nutrition, Health and Wellness strategy. Nestlé is based in the Swiss town of Vevey where it was founded more than 150 years ago. Learn more about our Group and reasons to join us on www.nestle.com.