Senior BI Data Engineer
7 Curtain Rd, Hackney, London EC2A 3LT
- Community: Our buyers, sellers and employees are inclusive, diverse and accessible. We are committed to empowering diversity within the fashion community.
- Entrepreneurship: We support our community and help them build their business with Depop. We thrive on supporting innovation by shaping an environment where creators, makers or hustlers can thrive.
- Sustainability: Depop helps extend the life of garments and reduce waste, we care about the world and want to make a positive change within the fashion industry.
Data is at the heart of what we do.
Depop is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our growing cross-functional BI team. Our platform receives tens of thousands of requests every second; we’re looking to cut through the noise, leverage this vast data, and find value.
At Depop we treat data as one of our digital products, and the BI team serves as the gatekeeper between our data stack and our business stakeholders. The BI team is a cross-functional unit that includes a technical product manager, a team of engineers and several data analysts. You will help manage our growing information needs and support analysis of increasingly complex business problems by:
- Building and promoting self-service tools and data best practices that will be used across the organisation, including taking ownership of our data transformation and exploration tools (dbt, Airflow, Databricks) and help build our data discovery tooling (DataHub).
- Ensuring that our data is fit-for-purpose and usable by the business, including writing and testing ETLs to present data in an efficient and accessible format.
You will work closely with business stakeholders from a wide variety of domains within Depop, as well as our Insights, MarTech and Data Platform Engineering teams.
We’re building scalable and robust systems to harvest, process and analyse the vast data within our tech ecosystem. With an increasing demand to service other areas of the business, and ultimately our 25 million users, you’ll be at the forefront of pioneering Data-as-a-Service.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team?
- We write about technology, people and smart engineering right here -https://engineering.depop.com/
We are working to shape the technical landscape of our new Analytics Platform, so you will be joining us at a very interesting time!
- You will play an integral role in owning initiatives for our new Analytics Platform - this includes developing new features in our data discovery and observability tools (DataHub), working with analysts to better understand their needs with self-serve data transformation tools (dbt, Databricks, Airflow), help promote new data exploration capabilities with Databricks, assist our product and analytics team with their data needs in our experimentation platform.
- Responsible for the overall delivery of the entire BI/ETL pipeline, including requirements gathering, technical designs, development, resource scheduling, QA and support.
- Build robust solutions to support 3rd party API data integrations.
- Design and develop automated data quality solutions as part of our data pipeline testing methodologies to ensure the highest levels of data integrity.
- Proactively identify and implement ways to improve data processes and warehousing, navigating complex challenges as our data grows and becomes an integral piece of our business and product operations.
- Manage the health and stability of our BI reporting and analytics tools and work towards promoting company-wide best practices to allow for their scalable growth by writing clear documentation, tutorials and hosting training sessions.
- Mentor other members of the team
- Advanced knowledge in a high-level programming language commonly used in ETL pipelines, such as Python or Scala.
- Strong Proficiency in SQL including a solid understanding of how to optimise query performance.
- Experience creating resilient ETL pipelines with workflow management tools such as Airflow.
- Working knowledge around data modelling best practices with modern data-warehouses such as Redshift, Snowflake.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and able to respond to change or uncertainty with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- A strong sense of ownership, autonomy and a highly organised nature. Able to take projects E2E and manage workstreams of other engineers in addition to your own.
- Willingness and motivation to mentor and up-skill the people around you.
- You have a passion for learning new things and keeping on top of the latest developments and technologies in our field.
Bonus points for:
- Have productionised open-source data tools, including setting up CI/CD pipelines, IaC (Terraform), version control and technical documentation authoring.
- Previous experience working with Spark.
- Experience working with dbt.
- Previous experience in Looker implementation and familiarity with LookML.
- Knowledge of AWS data solutions such as Redshift, S3, Athena, Glue, EMR.
- Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes.#LI-SL1
- Learn and Grow: We want to give our people the opportunity to learn. We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
- Wellbeing: We care about our employees wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eyecare vouchers and a discounted gym membership at Nuffield Health.
- Mental Health: Our employees mental health is a top priority. We offer subsidised counseling appointments with a qualified therapist through SelfSpace, we have trained mental health first aiders and we also run yoga, meditation and more.
- Work/life balance: We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism to allow you the opportunity to make a difference and we offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees
- Family life: We offer flexible working (based on the team you will be joining), generous maternity/paternity and parental leave policies which includes adoption and paid time off for fertility treatments. Also, all of our offices are dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Fun: We love to hang out with each other at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties to celebrate our successes. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more...we’ve taken this virtual for now!
Equality and Diversity Monitoring
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Depop recognises the benefits of a diverse workforce which reflects the wider population and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Under the Equality Act (2010), Depop must demonstrate that their recruitment processes are fair and that we are not discriminating against or disadvantaging anyone because of their age, disability, gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We need to ask applicants some questions to make sure that no one is being unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.
We collect this information only for anonymised monitoring purposes to help the organisation look at the profile of individuals who apply, are shortlisted for and appointed to each vacancy. In this way, we can check that we are complying with the Equality Act (2010).
Under the Equality Act 2010 the definition of disability is if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Further information regarding the definition of disability can be found at: www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010
Reasonable adjustments will be made available should you be invited to interview.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Depop Ltd, 08316342 ("Controller"), 9th Floor 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN (“We”, “Us”) and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com.
Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under [either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield]. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Science Manager jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Big Data jobs
- Open Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs