Senior Manager - Applied Data Science
San Francisco, CA (HQ)
GitHubBuild better together
Posted 2 months ago
The Data Science team's vision at GitHub is to supercharge our platform and services by leveraging our data in order to improve the software engineering workflow. We seek to enable more people to engage in the creation, collaboration and consumption of code while having an active hand in the participation of the future development of the software supply chain. Enabling this requires that we make it easier, safer, faster, and more efficient to create and understand code, and to enable people to connect with one another and their code projects.
GitHub has one of the largest and richest software-related data sets on the planet. Achieving our goals involves unifying and learning on top of that data at massive scale. This data includes code, git graphs of code changes, comments, pull requests, issues, users, contributors, and other metadata, including languages/frameworks, ASTs and diffs, module and dependency graphs, as well as other diverse data sets.
Given the broad scope of our how Data Science at GitHub interacts with both our platform and business, the leader we're searching for must be able to review, assess and help articulate fit-for-purpose techniques, models, and frameworks in what is a very fast moving field, while simultaneously helping to guide and mentor the team using a well reasoned and pragmatic approach to data product creation and delivery.
- Partnering with Product Management on long term vision, roadmap priorities, and product lifecycle from initial business case, through model formulation and final product integration
- Partnering with engineering and product leaders to ensure alignment across functions
- Setting guidelines for use cases that require machine learning vs. other methods
- Driving software requirements with partner engineering teams to support data product integration
Driving infrastructure requirements to support data products
- Review and assess techniques, models, and frameworks
- Assessing staffing needs to help shape and grow the machine learning team to increase its impact
- Promoting team growth via coaching, mentoring, and ensuring new learning opportunities
- Managing execution and communication
- Proven experience leading data science/machine learning teams that have shipped projects from an initial set of requirements to production
- Deep expertise in Data Science (inclusive of Machine & Deep Learning) theory, methods and their practical application.
- 5 years or equivalent experience managing and growing a data science team
- A track record of developing and managing a network of cross functional partnerships across engineering and product organizations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills that crystallize and distill complex topics into action
- The ability to balance near term product feature work and long term research
- Ability to lead a diverse set of geographically distributed data scientists and machine learning engineers
- A passion for GitHub's brand, platform and product and a desire to improve it via novel application of applied data science products
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.