Data Engineering Manager
Canada - Remote
Title: Data Engineering Manager
It turns out… unicorns are real! In fact, FreshBooks just became one after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion. And ever since launching in 2003, we’ve been on a steady incline towards one goal: Building easy-to-use accounting software for small business owners. It’s the goal that’s driven us to expand into five offices, serving customers in over 160 countries. And it’s the goal we’d love for you to be a part of as a member of our global team as we continue our journey.
FreshBooks is seeking a Data Engineering Manager to join our team. As part of the Data and Analytics Team, you will help us build and shape the future of our Data Engineering and Production Support teams, framework and processes. If you’re committed to great work and are constantly looking for ways to improve the systems you’re responsible for, we’d love to chat with you!
What you'll do:
- Build, mentor and lead a team that specializes in data engineering and analytics production support.
- Spend some of your time working hands-on with our data and analytics technology stack to determine incidents’ root cause, trace and fix bugs, improve data pipelines, and build automation.
- Collaborate with data engineers, data scientists, and data analysts to design and refine a series of SLAs, SLOs and SLIs that drive excellence in data engineering monitoring, observability and support.
- Design a robust incident management framework and work closely with data product owners, business stakeholders and executives to provide timely and accurate communications.
- Provide guidance to data engineers and our larger data & analytics team regarding our methodologies and standards which keep monitoring, observability and dev/ops best practices as a primary focus.
- Manage partnerships with technology vendors who assist in the data engineering production support ecosystem.
- Collaborate closely with platform, infrastructure and architecture teams to ensure our data engineering systems are well structured for scale, performance and cost.
- Automate processes wherever possible to handle monitoring, alerts and re-runs.
- Build an on-call support program with internal teams and/or external vendors, including an escalation path which you may be a part of.
What you bring:
- Enthusiasm for data engineering!
- 5+ years experience creating and maintaining data pipelines
- Experience leading a team in the data & analytics industry
- Experience managing technology service vendors
- Experience with Google Cloud, or another major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Experience with BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift, or similar cloud data warehouse technologies
- Experience with Airflow (Workflow Management Platform)
- Strong programming skills in SQL and Python or a similar language
- Experience with streaming technology (e.g. Google Pub/Sub, AWS Kinesis, Kafka, Dataflow, Apache Beam, Spark, etc.)
- Experience with Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Terraform, and/or other DevOps and infrastructure as code technologies.
- Experience with monitoring, incident management and alert management tools (e.g. Datadog, PagerDuty)
- A strong practitioner of test-driven (and behaviour driven) development
- Experience with Git workflows, continuous integration and automated build pipelines
- Experience working in an Agile environment
What you might bring:
- A track record of staying at the forefront of data engineering technology.
- Experience with industry ETL & BI tools (e.g. Fivetran, Stitch, Talend, Informatica, Datastage, Looker, Tableau, PowerBI, etc.)
- Experience working with ML Operations or Data Science technology (e.g. Vertex AI, SageMaker, Data Robot, etc.)
- Subject matter data expertise in the SaaS industry.
- A limitless imagination for where data could go and what we can do with it to make our customers and our people awesome!
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
Here at FreshBooks, we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Should you require any accommodations during the recruitment process, please advise your recruiter on how we can meet your needs to ensure a fair and equitable selection process in a confidential manner.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Junior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Architect Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Analyst II Jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Data Integration Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs