Machine Learning Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posted 1 year ago
Develop ML-driven technologies that are used by millions every day.
Duolingo AI Research is one of Duolingo’s fastest-growing teams. We use real-world data to develop new hypotheses about language and learning, test them empirically, and ship products based on our research. Duolingo has revolutionized language learning for more than 300 million people around the world, and we’re looking for out-of-the-box thinkers who bring creative, interdisciplinary ideas on how to deliver a high-quality education to anyone, anywhere, through AI.
As an ML Engineer, you will apply your background in machine learning to develop features using state-of-the-art methods in classification, regression, and reinforcement learning for applications in personalization, natural language processing, anomaly detection, forecasting, and so on. You will work with a fun and diverse team to build intelligent software used by millions of people, around the world, every day.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Apply AI/ML methods to massive data sets
- Prototype new models, evaluate with offline experiments, and then productionize solutions at scale to millions of daily users
- Work with a cross-functional team of award-winning designers, researchers, engineers, and others to build new product features
- Iterate on product quality through continuous A/B testing
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- MS, PhD, or equivalent industry experience and expertise in machine learning
- Experience implementing ML systems at scale in Python, Java, Scala, or C/C++ (i.e., not just R or MATLAB)
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Strong debugging and critical thinking skills
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
BONUS POINTS FOR
- 2+ years industry experience building production ML systems (e.g., commercial products or government projects)
- A portfolio of relevant publications or open-source projects
- A desire to keep up with the field by attending or publishing at relevant conferences (ICML, NeurIPS, ACL, EMNLP, ICLR, CVPR, etc.)
To serve our diversity of users, we also need a diverse team! We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.