Engineering Manager of Managers, Data Engineering, User Billing
San Francisco, Seattle
As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, and detects fraud, helping entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world. Stripe’s User Billing organization provides a central entry point to Stripe teams to monetize products in global markets. It includes pillars of Pricing data and User Agreement capture and storage, the core billing engine, invoicing bills to Stripe customers, and end-to-end (custom) billing solutions for very large enterprise customers. This organization is ultimately responsible for the systems and programs that generate Stripe’s revenue and enable the economics between Stripe and our customers.
As the Head of Engineering for Stripe User Billing, you’ll be leading this group of engineers to partner very closely with Product Management, Tech Programs, and Data Science, to ensure Stripe’s business success and build the long-term technologies required underneath. This includes building and improving a product suite that helps all of Stripe’s products generate and collect revenue, and empowers Stripe’s users and business functions to configure, measure, analyze, and report on pricing and revenue. You will also have the opportunity to work with a large number of functions at Stripe, such as GTM functions, user-facing teams, Stripe’s full product lines, and Finance & Accounting teams.
While the User Billing org is critical and central to Stripe’s business success, it needs to work across an unusual mix of software platforms, infrastructure, product, and organizational challenges. We are looking for an experienced and senior engineering leader with a strong background or interest in working across these domains to set directions, make difficult decisions, deliver high quality work and outsized impact, and build strong partnerships and alliances.
- Work with engineers and product management to build software and systems that power and materialize the revenue models across Stripe’s product suite, and deliver a surprisingly great experience to our customers.
- Work with functions and teams across the company to enable our business’ fast growth.
- Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity and quality
- Manage an excellent team of engineers, helping to develop their careers with stretch projects and excellent feedback
- Recruit a diverse team of engineers and managers that are amongst the best in the industry, from outreach through close
- Hire, mentor and coach engineering managers to create healthy and well-executing teams
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as part of the engineering management team
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 6+ years of engineering management experience, including experience as a third line manager (i.e. managing other managers of managers).
- Experience with building distributed systems, large scale data processing, and complex data models.
- Experience working closely with Product Management and Technical Programs (such as TPMs and Program Managers).
- Successfully built a team, defined its mission, and executed on its goals.
- Strong track record of delivering high quality outcomes and impact effectively and efficiently.
- Effectively recruited, mentored, and retained great people, who are extremely effective over the long term.
- The ability to thrive with a high level of autonomy, responsibility, and ambiguity.
- The ability to work well cross functionally, and are able to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- Experience managing and growing an organization of 40-50 engineers.
- Experience in 2B business and billing solutions are a plus.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people from various backgrounds with broad technical skills. Stripes take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and empowering entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues well. The kind of people who commit to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a diverse organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Science Manager jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Big Data jobs
- Open Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs