Head of Data and Analytics
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Smallpdf is the most-loved and most-trusted PDF software on the planet. We serve over 500 million users in 24 different languages processing millions of documents per day, and in every country in the world—even Antarctica! To deliver a product that users love, we solve complex technical problems at scale using cloud native and open source technologies.
As one of the most successful startups in Switzerland, with staff from all over the world, we're on a mission to make PDF easy. We love open-source and using the latest technologies to scale our distributed application to process millions of files every day.
Data powers everything we do at Smallpdf. Starting with the company strategy and down to product personalization, we rely on data to help us create the most value for our customers. As we continue to grow, our data needs grow more sophisticated. The Head of Data and Analytics will lead a team of Data Scientists and Data Engineers who are embedded in different cross-functional pods.
You will develop the vision and roadmap for the data team and develop data infrastructure to ensure data is trusted, widely accessible to everyone at Smallpdf and can be relied on to drive important systems in production. You will also build a machine learning team to help us offer product personalizations, drive recommendations to our customers and build features to assist customers during document creation and management.
- Lead a team of talented Data Scientists and Data Engineers. Grow the team to develop a Machine Learning function within Smallpdf.
- Foster an environment where data professionals can develop their skills and grow through coaching, and by taking on increased responsibilities across the organization.
- Help establish and instill standards, methods, and best practices for data across the company, incl. tracking, data quality and governance, BI architecture, A/B testing, and deploying models to production.
- Be the servant leader who role models excellence: inspire the team, provide guidance, set team vision, and coach future data leaders.
- Develop the team’s culture: driving technical excellence, enforce a hands-on and get-stuff done attitude, and create an atmosphere of trust and safety.
- Develop and take ownership of our Data Platform including tracking, data connections, data warehouse, and data pipelines.
- Choose and implement tools and services to provide
- Comprehensive dashboards, visualizations, and reporting.
- Easy access and ability to analyze data to all employees of Smallpdf enabling them to self-serve their key analytics needs.
- Machine learning infrastructure to enable the development of models to power personalization and recommendations within the product as well as the ability to analyze document contents to enable assisted document creation.
- Bachelor's, Master's or Ph.D. degree in STEM preferred. The equivalent combination of education, training and work experience may be suitable.
- 10+ years experience in Business Intelligence, Data Science, Data Engineering, or any similar fields.
- 3+ years of experience in leading and growing data and analytics teams. Experience coaching and mentoring teams.
- A strong understanding of BI/data warehousing/data pipelining, transformation orchestration with modern architectures (e.g. DBT, Airflow), BI Systems (PowerBI or Tableau), some AWS & DevOps experience.
- Strong SQL and Python experience.
- Experience building and scaling machine learning models (Smallpdf has +40M MAU and growing)
- Experience in setting up analytics and driving data-driven decisions for Product Led Growth (PLG) startups would be an added benefit.
- The opportunity to impact a successful, growing scale-up and its tools used by millions worldwide.
- Work in small, highly motivated, cross-functional teams that push boundaries.
- We are remote-work friendly (we prioritize a healthy work-life balance)
- A dedicated annual budget and time off for personal development
- Enjoy company events in the Swiss Alps, on Lake Zurich, or even further afield.
- After-work events include BBQs, cinema, game nights, meet-ups, and more.
- Learn German with our free German language course.
- Hack days to challenge yourself and the team.
- Unlimited free coffee and drinks.
- Weekly team lunch on the house.
- Brand new offices in the heart of Zurich.
Rated by Forbes as one of the top 10 cities in the world for work-life balance, Zurich is the place to work for anyone who wants more out of life. From chocolate, cheese, and Rӧsti to snow-capped mountains, haute couture, Swiss-made watches, and outstanding public transport, whatever it is that makes your heart beat faster, it’s all right here in Switzerland—and so is Smallpdf.
Smallpdf is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a talented, diverse, and inclusive workforce is our greatest strength. We strongly oppose any form of hiring or workplace discrimination against candidates or employees on any basis, including race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, philosophy, nationality, disability, or genetic information. We’re committed to fostering a safe, supportive environment where everyone can come to work as their full selves and reach their greatest potential.
By sending your application, you allow Smallpdf to handle and store your data.
Smallpdf does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Smallpdf and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Product Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Data Integration Jobs
- Open Lead Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Data Analyst II Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Data Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs