Nationally recognized for excellence, the King County Library System (KCLS) is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable Data Engineer to design and develop data platform solutions for the organization.
The Data Engineer will use common data architecture practices to architect, design and develop data/analytics platforms, such as data warehouses and data lakes, that will be used to produce analytics products including reports, dashboards, Machine Learning (ML) models and more. This position is responsible for collecting, moving, integrating and cleaning large volumes of data for complex data analysis. The Data Engineer will play a key role in the building and maintenance of data pipelines and will ensure that all systems meet privacy and security policy standards. Experience breaking stories into tasks, identifying dependencies, and testing and confirming acceptance criteria of work is essential.
Working with a highly collaborative and agile team, the Data Engineer will partner closely with the Information Technology Services and Strategy Departments and will serve as a strategic business partner with key stakeholders across KCLS. This position will build on and expand existing data systems developed in earlier phases of KCLS’ data management and reporting plan.
THIS IS A TERM LIMITED TEMPORARY (TLT) two-year, grant funded position. KCLS offers a package of competitive benefits including employer-subsidized medical, vision, dental and life insurance, employer-contribution to health savings accounts, state retirement and 457 deferred compensation plan as well as 10 paid holidays and generous sick and vacation benefits. The anticipated end date for this position is Fall 2023.
About King County Library System (KCLS):
KCLS has a vision of a world where knowledge allows diverse communities to prosper and grow. In order to support this vision, we create opportunities through meaningful connections by acting as the knowledge sharing center for over 1.4 million diverse patrons, providing an unparalleled collection of library materials, resources, technology, services, and programs.
Approximately 1,200 engaged and passionate staff provide service in 50 community library locations and patron engagement using direct outreach, programs, and virtual assistance. Our service area includes cities, towns, tribal lands, and unincorporated districts of King County, with the exception of the city of Seattle.
The King County Library System values diverse perspectives, lived experiences, and cultures. KCLS encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of color), immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, individuals with disabilities and veterans. KCLS is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, KCLS will ensure that persons with disabilities and impairments are provided reasonable accommodations when needed to participate in the job application or interview process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position.
To request accommodation, please call 425-369-3224.
REQUIRED: Applicants must attach a current resume and cover letter which addresses relevant work experience, education and training as it relates to this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
Any of the following duties may be performed. These examples are not necessarily performed by all incumbents, however, and do not include all specific tasks an incumbent may be expected to perform.
- Identify and apply the appropriate tools to efficiently collect, clean, and prepare large volumes of complex data for analysis.
- Extend existing data sources by adding attributes, mitigating data limitations, and using existing sources in ways that significantly improve results.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture; automate data pipelines, optimize data delivery, and streamline internal processes to provide users with reliable, efficient foundations for live business intelligence.
- Build analytics and data tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into key business performance metrics.
- Partner with KCLS stakeholder departments and business users throughout the engineering lifecycle and deliver reliable, compliant data assets that illuminate the problem areas users are striving to understand.
- Work with stakeholders to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Ensure all systems and sources meet privacy and security policies that govern data sources, and rigorously advocate for best practices in security policies.
- Attend and actively participate in various KCLS meetings, committees, and groups as assigned.
- Other related duties as assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited school with major in computer science, information systems, or related field preferred. Equivalent of full-time work experience in information systems or data engineering may substitute.
- Five or more years’ data engineering or data warehousing experience.
- Two or more years’ experience building cloud data solutions, such as Azure.
- Extensive experience developing data platforms including data warehouses, data lakes, ETL, or data pipelines with oversight.
- Experience with modern data architecture, ETL, ELT, scripting, data integration, Agile Development Process, DevOps, continuous integration and delivery, and release management.
- Experience with coding standards and development patterns, producing user documentation, source control, reverse engineering of ETL processes, and SQL.
- Extensive knowledge of data modeling fundamentals, data warehousing and integration architecture, quality assurance testing and validation standards, data security and privacy standards, and familiarity with project management tools.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with technologies such as SQL server, PostgreSQL, Azure data lake/warehouse/ELT products, DevOps GIT repository; scripting languages such as Python, PowerShell, C#; modeling tools such as Visio, and PowerPoint; preferred knowledge of JDE, Dayforce, Evergreen ILS, and SharePoint.
Certification in an ETL database or cloud platform.
Customer Focus - Primarily focused on customer needs, able to deliver high quality, value added services. Constantly strives to find new ways to increase customer satisfaction and understanding, foster equitable services, and forge meaningful connections.
Valuing Diversity - Manages relationships with all kinds and classes of people inclusively and equitably; respects, values, and encourages the unique dimension each employee adds to the organization and each member of the community brings to the whole. Seeks opportunities to learn from differences.
Ethics, Values, and Judgement - Exercises best judgment, trustworthiness, and professional standards of conduct; consistently demonstrates organizational values, moral principles, and accountability in behavior, character and action. Defends intellectual freedom and patron confidentiality.
Professional & Technical Knowledge - Demonstrates proficiency in professional and technical skills/and or knowledge in position-related areas; purposely keeps up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise, in order to foster personal success and connections for others.
Decision Quality - Makes decisions and solves problems, can deal adeptly with varied levels of complexity, ambiguity, and risk; takes responsibility and accepts ownership for decisions regardless of outcome. Responds promptly and appropriately in crises situations.
Peer Relationships - Responds and relates well with peers/colleagues; is seen as a team player and is cooperative and collaborative; looks for common ground and solves problems for the good of all.
Organizing and Planning - Establishes courses of action for self, can influence others to ensure that work is efficient, appropriately sensitive to real restraints on time and resources. Willing to take a risk.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly using hands in conjunction with frequent finger use and keyboarding, this computer work may be repetitive up to occasionally. Constantly sits and will seldom stand or walk. Will frequently reach up to chest level with hands and arms to work at a desk. The employee will occasionally lift to 10 pounds and seldom up to 35 pounds and seldom push/pull carts using light force.
This position encounters new, unusual, hectic or demanding situations almost on a frequent basis. Work is performed in a normal office environment and requires a strong team orientation. Some pressure from deadlines or changing priorities exists and interruptions to workflow can occur.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Analyst II Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Data Integration Jobs
- Open Lead Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Data Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Senior Big Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs