Machine Learning Engineering Manager
Posted 1 month ago
We're looking for an experienced Machine Learning Engineering Manager to join the data engineering team at Zapier. Interested in helping grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living? Then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Working on Diversity and Inclusivity
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
- You are an effective team builder. This isn't your first rodeo. You know how to hire, train, and develop engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive engineering team. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few engineers before.
- You have hands-on experience with ML applications: You’ve built systems that collected data from user behavior and other data collected about them. You have then leveraged this data though ML and statistics to categorize users, recommend choices to or score them on their propensity to perform subsequent actions.
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication.
- You have experience managing technical data teams. You have kept things focused on execution, data correctness, and data timeliness, delivering a trustworthy data products on top of a constantly evolving data stack.
- You can communicate about technical topics without unnecessary jargon. You translate unfamiliar data modeling concepts into approachable ones to teammates with less experience working with data.
- You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates from any function of the organization or with any level of data knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
- You understand that perfect is the enemy of good and default to action by shipping MVP code and iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a startup, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. Here are some things you'll get a taste of:
- Hands-on participation in creating Data Products and collaborate with Business teams to leverage our Data and skillset to make smarter products that help our users be more successful.
- Set a strategy and roadmap for Data Products in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Help set technical roadmaps that will help Data Operations and Decision Science achieve their goals.
- Keep the rest of Zapier informed on your team’s progress in one-on-ones, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout all of engineering, data and otherwise, moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers and data scientists at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews or writing better documentation.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
- As part of the data team’s T1 rotation, help Zapier employees use and understand the self-serve data resources.
- Travel: As part of our organization, you'll have the opportunity to travel 2-3x per year to our all-hands retreats. This may involve international travel if you live outside of North America, so you should be prepared to travel 5-10 percent of the time.
Data at Zapier
Zapier relies on dozens of systems that emit data about Zapier and our potential and current users and partners. This data is useful for us to make a better product, better decisions, and understand our weaknesses and opportunities. The data team at Zapier pulls this data from DBs, APIs, and event streams, collocates it and then processes it through all the disparate systems to bring them together in a reliable, timely, performant, and easy to understand way to employees and systems that need it.
Within the data team we're made up of several subteams: Data Ops focusing on data infrastructure and storage, compute, ingest, and dimensional modeling; Data Products focusing on building statistical and ML tools and models; and Decision Science that focuses on exposing the data in useful and self-service form.
Our stack is best summed up by: AWS Redshift (and the related AWS products AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Airflow, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Python, and NiFi. But we're pragmatic -- for example, we have some Java for ingesting data from Kafka, and we use Clojure for inferring schema and other information about data sets.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
For the past seven years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
Our team of 280+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to North American and UK-based employees. Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.