Data Scientist, Operations
Brooklyn, NY (Rent the Runway HQ)
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Data is core to our growing business and has been ingrained in the company's DNA since its founding. The Operations Analytics team arms our warehouse, transportation, and customer service managers with data to measure performance and insights to drive continuous improvements. We work on unique problems at the intersection of fashion, technology, and logistics, where solutions often require novel approaches that push the boundaries of data science. This is where you come in!
About the Job:
We are looking for a Data Scientist on the Operations Analytics team to lead fulfillment forecasting. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining models and tools that deliver accurate, explainable forecasts. You will develop partnerships across Finance, Planning, Revenue, and Operations, synthesizing business inputs and signals to enable efficient operational planning.
What You’ll Do:
- Own fulfillment forecasting tools end-to-end:
- Monitor forecast accuracy metrics and explain variances
- Conduct analysis to understand growth drivers and volume patterns
- Drive regular forecasting algorithm improvements
- Work with cross-functional teams of data scientists, product managers and business stakeholders to define the vision for the next generation of forecasting tools/products at RTR and achieve that vision from prototype to production.
- Support short-term projects related to forecasting and planning throughout the operation.
- You have a strong quantitative and/or technical academic background in Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research or another quantitative field.
- You are an expert on time series forecasting. You are familiar with both classic and machine learning based forecasting approaches. You are intimately familiar with popular forecasting tools on the market and understand the strengths and weaknesses of each. Bonus points if you are a contributor to an open source forecast package.
- You have 3+ years of experience building forecasts for supply chain, warehouse operations, call center operations, or other related topics in eCommerce
- You are able to execute across the entire life cycle of an advanced analytics project: data collection and wrangling, abstraction of business problems to tractable mathematical models, delivery of recommendations, implementation of business changes, and performance measurement.
- You are an experienced software developer implementing data solutions in Python.
- You are an expert in SQL; you can confidently perform your own data munging and build your own data pipelines.
- You have the business acumen required to spot and prioritize opportunities that will move the needle.
- You have an owner’s mindset, a bias to action and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a rapidly changing environment, under tight project timelines.
- You have excellent communication skills (verbal and written); you can effectively suit your communication style for your audience to earn trust and influence at all levels.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Data Integration Jobs
- Open Lead Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Analyst II Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Senior Big Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs