Data Scientist - Smartly
Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
DatacomWe work across Australia and New Zealand to make a difference in people’s lives by turning the imaginable into reality.
A bit about Smartly
We exist to make it simpler for Kiwi businesses to look after their people. We’re known as the simple way to sort your payroll for over 20,000 businesses and using our slick software combined with our awesome support team help them pay their people on time, accurately and in line with legislation. Which I’m sure you’d agree is important stuff.
We wholeheartedly believe if you put people first, everyone wins. Great employees and great employee relationships are still one of the most valuable things a business can have. Look after them, and success however you measure it gets easier. Your people win, your customers win, you win. And we live this belief out every day in the way we work with our people.
What we’re looking for
We are on the hunt for a new Data Scientist to join our family working within our New Data & AI team.
We’re looking for a Data Scientist with a passion for data to make a strategic and active contribution to the creation of Smartly’s data platform – sourcing and analysing the data, building workflows and models, supporting the design of AI and machine learning models and running experiments to drive impact.
In this role, you will work closely and cross functionally with internal teams as well as partners to extract insights from Smartly’s rich and complex data. You will also work with leaders to translate business needs into data problems. You will build metrics, scalable data pipelines, dashboards, and reports to inform and run the business. You will deliver actionable business recommendations through analyses and data storytelling.
What does the job involve?
This Data Scientist role plays a key part to ensure that data capability and AI’s transformative potential is fully realised within Smartly.
- Collect, clean, and transform data from various sources using appropriate methods and tools such as SQL, Python, R, or other tools as needed.
- Perform exploratory and statistical data analysis using descriptive, inferential, and predictive methods.
- Create and maintain reports and dashboards using visualisation tools such as Tableau, Power BI, or Google Data Studio.
- Provide actionable insights and recommendations to improve business performance and customer satisfaction.
- Develop and implement data quality checks and validation procedures.
- Document data processes, methodologies, and assumptions.
- Communicate data findings and solutions to stakeholders in a clear and compelling way to drive high quality decisions.
What you’ll need to bring:
- Curiosity and passion for data and learning
- Significant experience in data analysis roles, working with large datasets to solve problems
- Proficiency in SQL and Excel, and at least one programming language such Python or R is highly desirable
- Strong problem-solving skills with an ability to grasp the big picture while demonstrating great attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication skills, particularly written and presentation skills.
- Understanding and experience of SaaS metrics and growth levers an advantage
What you’ll get
- A competitive salary and additional benefits (e.g. free health insurance)
- Flexible working - opportunity to work from home and offices in Auckland & Wellington
- Awesome company-wide team culture
- Training for our software and support from our great team.
Please submit your Cover Letter & CV by clicking Apply.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our AI, ML, Data Science Salary Index 💰
More jobs like this
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Principal Data Engineer jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Senior Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist jobs
- Open Data Quality Analyst jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Developer jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager jobs
- Open Head of Data jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Databricks-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs