Product Management Director- Data Science
athenahealthJoin 140K providers on the largest connected network in healthcare. See how we’re making connections that improve patient outcomes & clinician experiences.
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
The Director of Product Management, Data Science leads the Data Science function within a product subdivision, reporting into the Analytics & AI product subdivision lead. The role is responsible for the successful development and execution of the Data Science product portfolio and corresponding roadmap, ensuring alignment to the subdivision’s overarching roadmap. The role partners closely with zone leaders across Product Management, Engineering, User Experience, and Analytics, Data Science leaders within Analytics & AI, and Service Line leaders within Operations. In this role, you will lead a team of Product Managers tasked with developing data-driven business cases and corresponding OKRs, influencing stakeholders to allocate resources for model integration, grooming actionable backlogs for Engineering, assessing vendor partnership opportunities, and prioritizing in conjunction with overall subdivision leadership.
This specific role focuses on athenahealth’s Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) product, Collector. Your scope will include all of athena’s RCM challenges, from the Front Desk, to Patient Payments and Insurance, to Claim Creation and Submission, to Claim Tracking, to Denials Management, and finally to Claim Adjudication and Posting. You will become an RCM expert, able to fluently discuss automation, cost savings, and revenue-driving opportunities with all levels of stakeholder, from the Chief Product Officer to the singular scrum team. You are the ideal candidate if you get excited by utilizing technology to solve complex business problems, enjoy brainstorming with diverse stakeholders, and always use data to drive your decision-making. Come join us and help shape Collector’s future!
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Define, iterate, and gain alignment on the strategic vision, portfolio, and roadmap for the subdivision’s Data Science product offering
- Manage a team of product owners, providing direction via annual and release-bound goals, allocating to appropriate projects, focusing on professional development, and assessing performance and impact
- Collaborate across division, subdivisions, and disciplines to influence thought leaders towards utilizing ML models within the business space they manage
- Partner with zone leaders to develop data-driven business cases, align integration plans with their roadmaps, and craft both strategic and tactical OKRs, ensuring the successful delivery and impact of product investments
- Engage with Data Science Engineering Managers and Leads to prioritize and allocate scrum teams while maintaining a backlog of below-the-line opportunities
- Develop rapport with Analytics leads, ensuring alignment in terms of data needs to support future and ongoing projects
- Research Data Science market trends and assess vendor partnership opportunities, with a focus on utilizing Large Language Models to deliver value
- Influence leadership to invest in Data Science resources by providing data-backed opportunity assessments within a clear backlog of unstaffed projects
Education, Experience, & Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Degree (Bachelor’s or Masters) in Computer Science, Business, or Product Design preferred
- Understanding of healthcare / health IT environment preferred
- 10+ years relevant product management experience
- Technical understanding (mobile, SaaS, data) – ability to gut check technical feasibility and timelines and remove technical development barriers
- Experience bringing products to market
- Understanding of product management best practices, including agile development environments; Agile certification a plus
- Demonstrated success at driving innovation in a dynamic environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience leading teams and managing direct reports
Behaviors & Abilities Required
- Passion for improving healthcare, with empathy for the users of our products and services
- Ability to understand customer experience and impact of user interface design
- Can comfortably manage enterprise client communications and understands how they work and think; can craft approaches that are effective for important external stakeholders.
- Sees ahead clearly, can coach and influence others to anticipate future consequences and product trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective, and is future oriented.
- Ability to make sound product design decisions based on internal (business) and external (customer) requirements
- Drives results – translates the overall objectives of the organization into actionable, quantitative plans and demonstrates an ability to overcome obstacles to delivery successfully
- Appreciation for the software development process and the varying personalities in the cross-functional groups we work with
- Ability to whiteboard strategy discussions with directs, help directs understand and own the overall strategic direction as well as executable plan to push out to broader teams
- Travel required, predicting 5-15%; time may vary and will include client site visits, conferences, trade shows, Sales and Marketing events, and training
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our AI, ML, Data Science Salary Index 💰
More jobs like this
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Principal Data Engineer jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Senior Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist jobs
- Open Data Quality Analyst jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Developer jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager jobs
- Open Head of Data jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Databricks-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs