Senior Principal Data Engineer (Remote)
Field - United States
Bristol Myers SquibbBristol Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company committed to discovering, developing and delivering innovative medicines to patients with serious diseases.
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
This role can be fully remote:
When you join BMS, you are joining a diverse, high-achieving team united by a common mission.
The Informatics and Predictive Sciences (IPS) mission is to Pioneer, Partner and Predict to drive transformative insights for patient benefit. IPS conducts applied computational research in areas that include genomic, structural and molecular informatics, computational and systems biology, patient selection and translational biomarker research, and broader fields including knowledge science, epidemiology and machine learning—across the full lifecycle of drug discovery and development and across all therapeutic areas at BMS. We do this in close partnership with scientific and clinical experts in the field, both inside and outside the company. We perform innovative science to empower key data-driven decisions across a rich pipeline of next-generation medicines. In doing so, our work transforms the lives of patients, as well as our own lives and careers.
Here, you’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities that are uncommon in scale and scope. You’ll pursue innovative ideas while advancing professionally alongside some of the brightest minds in biopharma.
Bristol Myers Squibb seeks a hardworking individual to contribute to groundbreaking informatics and data management initiatives within Research. This hands-on Senior Principal Data Engineer role interfaces closely with scientists in the Chemistry, Biotherapeutics, and Informatics and Predictive Sciences groups working to identify novel therapies. We are seeking an individual with extensive experience integrating data and building data solutions to make data accessible and relevant for the research community.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Innovate and advise on the latest technologies and standard methodologies in Data Engineering.
- Collaborate with colleagues across Informatics and Predictive Sciences, Chemistry and Biotherapeutics to make a wide variety of data, from raw to scientific insights, readily available to researchers.
- Design and develop infrastructure and processes to load public and proprietary data from multiple source systems leveraging a mix of custom software and database development, open-source tools, and cloud-based services.
- Lead multi-functional teams to design and implement cloud-based, integrated data platforms to facilitate the identification of novel therapeutic compounds.
- Collaborate with analysts to apply solutions for integration and delivery of complex biologic data to a wide variety of predictive modeling approaches including integration with large language model enabled data discovery and retrieval.
- Collaborate with the project manager, solution architect, infrastructure team, and external vendors as needed to support successful delivery of technical solutions.
- Bachelor's Degree 10+ years of academic / industry experience in an engineering or biology field
- or Master's Degree 8+ years of academic / industry experience in an engineering or biology field
- or PhD 6+ years of academic / industry experience in an engineering or biology field
- Demonstrated high proficiency with current software engineering methodologies, such as Agile SDLC approaches, distributed source code control, project management, issue tracking, and CI/CD tools and processes.
- Demonstrated proficiency in processing, analyzing, and constructing complex data capture, management, and dissemination solutions for public and/or proprietary biological patient and assay datasets including transcriptomic, proteomic, and/or small molecule datasets.
- Proficiency with predictive modeling approaches and/or experience working with large language models preferred.
- Excellent skills in an object-oriented programming language such as Python or Java, and proficiency in SQL and R.
- High degree of proficiency in cloud computing. Preference will be given to candidates with AWS experience.
- Solid understanding of container strategies such as Docker, Fargate, ECS, and ECR.
- Excellent skills and deep knowledge of databases such as Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redshift, and Aurora, including distributed database design, SQL vs. NoSQL, and database optimizations.
- Experience developing web applications in frameworks like Shiny, Vue, React, etc. is a plus.
- Along with programming proficiency, must have a strong capacity for independent thinking and the ability to grasp underlying scientific questions.
- Must have experience leading complex scientific data management and integration initiatives in a research environment.
- Must be effective in a dynamic environment while adapting to changing priorities and have excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Must have excellent time management and interpersonal skills.
The starting compensation for this job is a range from $159,000 to$185,000, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility).
The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and the where the job is performed.
Final individual compensation will be decided based on demonstrated experience.
For more on benefits, please visit our https://careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our BMS Careers site may vary based on the job and location.
Benefit offerings are subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans then in effect and may include the following: Medical, pharmacy, dental and vision care. Wellbeing support such as the BMS Living Life Better program and employee assistance programs (EAP). Financial well-being resources and a 401(K). Financial protection benefits such as short- and long-term disability, life insurance, supplemental health insurance, business travel protection and survivor support. Work-life programs include paid national holidays and optional holidays, Global Shutdown days between Christmas and New Year’s holiday, up to 120 hours of paid vacation, up to two (2) paid days to volunteer, sick time off, and summer hours flexibility. Parental, caregiver, bereavement, and military leave. Family care services such as adoption and surrogacy reimbursement, fertility/infertility benefits, support for traveling mothers, and child, elder and pet care resources. Other perks like tuition reimbursement and a recognition program.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.
Tags: Agile AWS Biology Chemistry CI/CD Data management Docker Drug discovery ECS Elasticsearch Engineering Excel Java LLMs Machine Learning NoSQL OOP PhD PostgreSQL Predictive modeling Privacy Python R React Redshift Research SDLC SQL Vue
More jobs like this
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Principal Data Engineer jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Senior Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist jobs
- Open Data Quality Analyst jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Developer jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager jobs
- Open Head of Data jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Databricks-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs