About the Organization
The National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) is a private, not-for-profit organization established in 1952 to provide a uniform date of appointment to positions in graduate medical education (GME) in the United States. The NRMP is not an application processing service; rather, it provides an impartial venue for matching applicants’ and programs’ preferences for each other consistently. The NRMP conducts the annual Main Residency Match encompassing 40,000 applicants for more than 25,000 positions in core residencies as well as Matches for fellowship positions in 55 subspecialties through its Specialties Matching Service®.
NRMP is looking for a research analyst to support the implementation of its growing research agenda. The research analyst will support the development of data collection tools; perform data management and statistical analyses; and assist in the preparation of scientific products such as manuscripts to be submitted to peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, conference presentations, and reports to be published on the NRMP web site. The incumbent will also assume responsibility for regulatory compliance activities such as Institutional Review Board submissions and maintain key components of the research unit’s infrastructure including the reference management system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build out survey questionnaires using NRMP technology and conduct pilot tests with volunteer NRMP staff as participants.
- Prepare survey data for analyses. Export survey data to create analytic files using various applications (e.g. SQL) as needed.
- Develop and implement data cleaning, error checking, and recoding and composite variable creation programs appropriate to exported survey data.
- Support Senior Director of Research in developing survey analyses.
- Conduct literature searches to inform the development of scientific products and request from corresponding authors, download or, when necessary, request purchase of copies of identified literature.
- Perform statistical analyses to address research questions identified by NRMP staff, the Board of Directors, the Research Advisory Committee, or other external stakeholders as directed.
- Assist in drafting portions of NRMP-authored scientific products such as statistical analysis subsections of Methods for journal articles.
- Coordinate as directed with research partners, lead/corresponding authors, communications staff, as appropriate, to ensure timely and accurate promotion of publications, research briefs, etc…to the community.
- Develop and submit data collection protocols to the contracted Institutional Review Board, and work with the Senior Director of Research and IRB staff to revise protocols as needed subsequent to review when necessary.
- Support the Senior Director of Research and executive leadership in creating spreadsheets tables, charts, and graphs as needed for publications and presentations.
- Support the Senior Director of Research in executing meetings of the Data Committee and research Advisory Committee; help prepare agendas, meeting materials and minutes.
- Maintain the research unit’s reference management system, including follow-ups with external users of NRMP data to obtain copies of their products and uploads of NRMP staff products as well as literature used by staff to inform those products.
A successful candidate will have the expertise and skills described below.
EDUCATION, PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Bachelor’s in statistics, biostatistics epidemiology, quantitative psychology, or a similar discipline is required. Master’s degree in same or similar studies is preferred.
- At least 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience involving management and manipulation of large data sets, including cleaning, error checking, recoding, and composite variable creation, as well as creation of codebooks and similar documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to translate data analyses into manuscripts for peer-reviewed journal submissions, white papers, Board reports and other presentation formats as needed.
- Familiarity with undergraduate and graduate medical education and the residency selection process is preferred.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proficiency in statistical analyses of large data sets using SAS, ranging from descriptive statistics to linear and logistic regression, generalized linear models, and factor analysis. Expertise in use of SAS macro language is highly desirable.
- Experience conducting literature searches and use of reference management systems.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Proficiency in SQL.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience building survey forms.
- Experience in Institutional Review Board protocol development and submission.
- Proficiency in Crystal Reports and/or Tableau.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Attention to detail and ability to identify and troubleshoot potential errors in domains such as survey question logic or data exports.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to learn new skills, industriousness in identifying and utilizing resources internal to the organization, and self-motivation in seeking out and requesting external resources for education and training when appropriate.
- Good judgment, initiative, and commitment to high standards of ethics, regulatory compliance, customer service, and business and scientific integrity.
- Interaction several times per year with staff of the contracted Institutional Review Board concerning protocol submissions.
- Occasional interaction with external stakeholders on matters such as data analyses and requests for final copies of scientific products that have used NRMP data.
- Frequent interaction with other NRMP staff, particularly in the Research/Data team environment.
- Occasional interactions with members of the Board of Directors and external consultants.
This position is primarily sedentary with infrequent overnight travel and may require some bending and lifting.
This position is presently a telework position due to COVID-19 until at least the end of 2021; it is unknown at this time if an in-person workplace will resume. Should in-person work resume, this position may remain remote with potential for intermittent in-person meetings and project work.
NRMP is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or other protected class status.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Analyst II Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Data Integration Jobs
- Open Lead Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Data Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Senior Big Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs