Machine Learning Scientist
AncestryCurious about careers at Ancestry? Explore our culture, career areas and search opportunities.
When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. Ancestry®, the global leader in family history, empowers journeys of personal discovery to enrich lives. With our unparalleled collection of more than 40 billion records, over 3 million subscribers and over 23 million people in our growing DNA network, customers can discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Over the past 40 years, we’ve built trusted relationships with millions of people who have chosen us as the platform for discovering, preserving and sharing the most important information about themselves and their families.
We are committed to our location flexible work approach, allowing you to choose to work in the nearest office, from your home, or a hybrid of both (subject to location restrictions and roles that are required to be in the office- see the full list of eligible US locations HERE). We will continue to hire and promote beyond the boundaries of our office locations, to enable broadened possibilities for employee diversity.
Together, we work every day to foster a work environment that's inclusive as well as diverse, and where our people can be themselves. Every idea and perspective is valued so that our products and services reflect the global and diverse clients we serve.
Ancestry encourages applications from minorities, women, the disabled, protected veterans and all other qualified applicants. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? Join the curious.
AncestryDNA is seeking a motivated and talented Senior Machine Learning (ML) Engineer to join our DNA Science team. Our team is at the forefront of building computational and machine learning methods that connect people to the places and ancestors of their past through genomics. As a Senior ML Engineer, you will work with our enthusiastic team of ML scientists, data scientists, population geneticists, software engineers and cloud architects to develop and deploy machine learning solutions that leverage the capabilities of our AWS ecosystem. You will design, implement, and test novel algorithmic breakthroughs that will enrich our customers’ lives.
What You'll Do:
- Develop, implement, and optimize machine learning algorithms and models using AWS tools and frameworks, such as SageMaker, Lambda, Glue, and more.
- Design and implement end-to-end ML pipelines within AWS (SageMaker)
- Utilize AWS infrastructure to train, evaluate, and fine-tune machine learning models at scale, considering factors such as model performance, latency, and cost.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to deploy and monitor machine learning models in production using AWS services like SageMaker, ECS, EKS, or Lambda.
- Design and build data pipelines that efficiently preprocess, clean, and transform genomics data from various sources, ensuring data quality and consistency.
- Collaborate with data engineers to optimize data storage solutions, leveraging AWS services such as S3, Redshift, and DynamoDB.
- Communicate complex technical concepts effectively to both technical and non-technical stakeholders through presentations, reports, and discussions
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's, Master's, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Data Science, or a related field.
- Proven experience as a ML Engineer with a focus on AWS services, demonstrated through successful project implementations.
- Strong proficiency in ML frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn, and experience with AWS ML services like SageMaker.
- Solid understanding of cloud computing concepts and experience with AWS services such as Lambda, Glue, S3, ECS, EKS, and more.
- Experience with genetics, population genetics, population geography, or demography
- Hands-on experience with data preprocessing, feature engineering, model training, and deployment in an AWS environment.
- Strong proficiency in programming languages such as Python and Bash
- Experience with containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes) and CI/CD pipelines (Harness, Jenkins).
- Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a collaborative mindset.
- Excellent communication skills to convey technical concepts to various stakeholders.
As a signatory of the ParityPledge in Support of Women and the ParityPledge in Support of People of Color, Ancestry values pay transparency and pay equity. We are pleased to share the base salary range for this position: $104,400 - $154,350 with eligibility for bonus, equity and comprehensive benefits including health, dental and vision. The actual salary will vary by geographic region and job experience. We will share detailed compensation data for a specific location during the recruiting process. Read more about our benefits HERE.
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20) and sb1162(1-1-23)
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Tags: AWS CI/CD Computer Science Data pipelines Data quality Docker DynamoDB ECS Engineering Feature engineering Genetics Kubernetes Lambda Machine Learning ML models Model training Pipelines Python PyTorch Redshift SageMaker Scikit-learn TensorFlow
More jobs like this
Remote, San Francisco, California, … Remote, San Francisco, California, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 136K - 222K * USD 136K+ *
Staff Applied Scientist - ForcastingArchitecture Data analysis Data visualization Genetics ICML Industrial +7
Career development Conferences Startup environment Team events
Work from Home, United … Work from Home, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 151K - 237K USD 151K+
Security Architect - DevSecOps/Supply Chain Security/AI/ML model securityAgile Architecture Big Data CI/CD Data Analytics Engineering +8
Career development Competitive pay Team events
Vienna, Vienna, Austria - … Vienna, Vienna, Austria - Remote Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 136K - 205K * USD 136K+ *
Senior Data Scientist (remote from EU)Big Data Computer Science Finance Machine Learning ML models PhD +2
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Startup environment Team events
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Principal Data Engineer jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Engineer jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Senior Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist jobs
- Open Data Quality Analyst jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Head of Data jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Developer jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Databricks-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs