Senior Engineering Manager, Machine Learning
New York City
Etsy is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager to lead one of the engineering teams for Etsy Ads, our onsite ad platform.
Etsy Ads is used by our smallest and largest sellers to grow their businesses and it is one of the major revenue streams for Etsy. You will collaborate with our Ads product development team and engineering leadership to grow the platform and ensure that advertising on Etsy continues to be a great investment for our sellers. The work on the Ads team includes building machine learning systems we use for ranking, bidding, and dynamic ad experiences on Etsy.com and the Etsy app.
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager who is comfortable running teams with specific machine learning goals, and experienced with tackling specific ML challenges such as modeling, calibration and ranking. You can learn more about our philosophies, tools, and some of the challenges we’ve been solving in a Code as Craft article that describes how we built our bidding system.
This is a full-time role (eventually) based in Brooklyn, NY. We offer flexible workplace policies that can accommodate work from home candidates who are comfortable traveling to an office location 2-3 times per week.
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the role:
You will work with other managers and the director to set the future technical direction of Etsy’s advertising platform.
You will collaborate with our product management team to craft plans to achieve our business goals.
You will lead work on challenging engineering problems such as:
How can we ensure that the right ads are put in front of the right buyers?
How can we build systems to improve personalized ad ranking while protecting user privacy?
How can we help our sellers to achieve a high rate of return?
How do we continue to scale a system that supports over 40 millions buyers and sellers?
How do we rank millions of ads dynamically in a matter of milliseconds?
You have experience leading teams building products based on machine learning. Previous work with advertising and relevant platforms is a bonus.
You possess a strong technical background, ideally building high availability systems that operate at scale.
You are comfortable working with groups outside engineering and translating high-level business requirements into technical architecture. You should also be able to comfortably communicate with non-engineers about the technical details of our advertising platform.
Ideally, you are familiar with modern machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or Pytorch.
You are an excellent coach, mentor, and developer of engineers.
You value people who are curious, enthusiastic, generous, and responsible.
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you've hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. Were open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Analyst II Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Data Integration Jobs
- Open Lead Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Data Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Senior Big Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs