Senior Data Scientist - Document Editor
Smallpdf is the most-loved and most trusted PDF software on the planet. We serve over 500 million users in 24 different languages processing millions of documents per day, and in every country in the world—even Antarctica! To deliver a product that users love, we solve complex technical problems at scale using cloud-native and open source technologies.
As one of the most successful startups in Switzerland, with staff from all over the world, we're on a mission to make PDF easy. We love open-source and using the latest technologies to scale our distributed application to process millions of files every day.
The Document Editor team is responsible for building the category-leading cross-platform experience for editing, creating, and sharing documents. The team focuses on building a document editor that is easy and effortless to use, and present in the most convenient environment for Small and Medium Businesses. We work across the web, mobile, desktop, and we build browser extensions and apps for the most popular platforms frequently used by SMBs. The group consists of three cross-functional teams with dedicated product managers, mobile, front- and back-end engineers, and designers.
As a Data Scientist at Smallpdf, you will leverage data and automation to help identify and solve impactful customer and growth problems. You will work on models that tackle lifetime value forecasting, churn prediction, segmentation and personalization, attribution modeling, causal inference of drivers of customer behavior, and more. You will develop products that serve those purposes, including predictions, models, frameworks, and infrastructure.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Drive cross-functional data science projects from beginning to end:
- Understand your team's mission and the domain within which you work. Understand the key performance indicators the team uses to measure their progress.
- Frame and structure questions that can lead to identifying breakthrough improvement opportunities for the team.
- Collect, clean, and analyze data.
- Research, prototype, and build out data science pipelines and models in production.
- Present methodology and key insights to stakeholders within the team and across the company.
- Use a diverse set of techniques spanning machine learning, causal inference, and other forms of statistical modeling to solve important business and product problems.
- Collaborate with business leaders, subject matter experts, and decision-makers to develop success criteria and optimize new products, features, policies, and models.
- Work within the broader Data guild to identify and automate collection from new data sources, improve data tooling and overall data infrastructure.
- 3+ years experience in data science or machine learning-focused roles, preferably working with Product or Growth teams.
- An advanced degree (M.S., PhD.), preferably in Statistics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Economics, or a related technical field
- A strong track record of performing data analysis using Python (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, etc.) and SQL. Good understanding of NLP models (SpaCy, NLTK, Stanford Core NLP, HuggingFace).
- Familiarity with Linux/OS X command line, version control software (git), and general software development.
- Experience using statistics and machine learning to solve complex business problems.
- Experience with version control systems for Machine Learning projects (DVC, Pachyderm, etc.).
- The versatility and willingness to learn new technologies on the job.
- The ability to clearly communicate complex results to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Fluent in English, German is not necessary.
- EU-citizen or a valid work permit to work in Switzerland.
- The opportunity to impact a successful, growing scale-up and its tools used by millions worldwide.
- Work in small, highly motivated, cross-functional teams that push boundaries.
- We are remote-work friendly (we prioritize a healthy work-life balance)
- A dedicated annual budget and time off for personal development
- Enjoy company events in the Swiss Alps, on Lake Zurich, or even further afield.
- After-work events include BBQs, cinema, game nights, meet-ups, and more.
- Learn German with our free German language course.
- Hack days to challenge yourself and the team.
- Unlimited free coffee and drinks.
- Weekly team lunch on the house.
- Brand new offices in the heart of Zurich.
Rated by Forbes as one of the top 10 cities in the world for work-life balance, Zurich is the place to work for anyone who wants more out of life. From chocolate, cheese, and Rӧsti to snow-capped mountains, haute couture, Swiss-made watches, and outstanding public transport, whatever it is that makes your heart beat faster, it’s all right here in Switzerland—and so is Smallpdf.
Smallpdf is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a talented, diverse, and inclusive workforce is our greatest strength. We strongly oppose any form of hiring or workplace discrimination against candidates or employees on any basis, including race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, philosophy, nationality, disability, or genetic information. We’re committed to fostering a safe, supportive environment where everyone can come to work as their full selves and reach their greatest potential.
By sending your application, you allow Smallpdf to handle and store your data.
Smallpdf does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Smallpdf and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Data Integration Jobs
- Open Lead Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Analyst II Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Senior Big Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs