Tech Lead Data Engineer
Beat is one of the most exciting companies to ever come out of the ride-hailing space. One city at a time, all across the globe we make transportation affordable, convenient, and safe for everyone. We also help hundreds of thousands of people earn extra income as drivers.
Today we are the fastest-growing ride-hailing service in Latin America. But serving millions of rides every day pales in comparison to what lies ahead. Our plans for expansion are limitless. Our stellar engineering team operates across a number of European capitals where, right now, some of the world’s most ambitious and talented engineers are changing how cities will move in the future.
Beat is currently available in Greece, Peru, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Argentina.
About the role
Data is at the heart of this effort and is an essential ingredient in Beat's aggressive growth plan and vision for the future. We are looking for a Lead Data Engineer to join our team and participate in the development of our next-generation, world-class analytics and reporting environment. In this role, you will regularly liaise with business users, data producers and data infrastructure teams across Beat in order to build the necessary data models, data warehouse schemas and data pipelines to serve the various analytics needs of the organization. As a subject matter expert, you will be responsible for laying the foundations of data systems, processes and products based on core software engineering principles.
The ideal candidate will have the right blend of data engineering and business intelligence skills and a track record of using these skills to build complex, data driven systems and products. We are looking for someone who can see beyond aspects of raw data ingestion and is keen to build scalable engineering systems to enable self-serve analytics at Beat.
What you'll be doing:
- Building data products and solutions on top of our data lake, data warehouse and real time data streams.
- Leading a small team of data engineers as a technical lead.
- Building systems that enable self-servability of our data.
- Building software solutions for data governance, lineage and data quality.
- Liaising closely with data platform and core data teams to establish a schematic data model for Beat’s domain entities.
- Liaising closely with other product and technology teams to build solutions that enable data based decision making in Beat’s products and services.
- Creating a long term technology vision for the BI and Data Engineering team.
What you need to have:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or in a related Engineering field. Higher degrees are highly appreciated.
- Minimum 6 years of experience as a Data Engineer or Backend software engineer.
- Minimum 2 years of demonstrable experience leading a small team of individual contributors as a Technical Lead.
- Experience architecting, building and running complex data products using real time as well as batch data pipelines.
- Expert knowledge of SQL as used for OLAP use cases.
- Experience in developing with Scala or any other JVM language.
- Hands-on experience with Apache Spark.
- Experience in a modern cloud based data warehouse like Bigquery/Redshift/Snowflake.
- Familiarity with distributed messaging systems like Apache Kafka, Google PubSub or AWS Kinesis.
- Experience with streaming technologies such as Spark Streaming, Apache Flink or Kafka Streams.
- Good understanding of the way distributed storage and processing systems work.
- Experience with automated deployment and CI/CD pipelines.
- Great written and verbal communication skills in English.
What is good to have:
- Familiarity with Apache Hadoop, Hive and Presto.
- Exposure to Kubernetes and containerized environments.
- Familiarity with various raw data storage formats such as Parquet, Avro or ORC.
- Hands-on experience in automated data modeling and transformation tools such as dbt and Airflow
- Experience in managing data quality for a large and complex data warehouse.
- Knowledge of product, commercial or marketing data tracking and analytics in an e-commerce environment.
What's in it for you:
- Competitive full-time salary
- Private Health Coverage on the Company’s group program.
- Beat rides-travel in our city for free, at the tap of a button.
- Breakfast, high-quality daily lunch on a very low cost, fruit and snacks all day long
- Flexible working hours, top Line tools,
- Working in a hyper-growth environment, you will enjoy numerous learning and career development opportunities
- A great opportunity to grow and work with the most amazing people in the industry.
- Being part of an environment that offers challenging goals, autonomy and mentoring, which creates incredible opportunities, both for you and the company.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Beat is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs