Principal Data Scientist - 12 Month Term
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Through all this, we believe we can create happiness. This is the ATB way.
Job Number: REQ2172
Location: Anywhere in Alberta
Apply by: Monday July 26th, 2021
# Positions available: 1
Leader Name: Rhys Chouinard
PLEASE NOTE: This job posting is for a 12 month term role.
The Senior Data Scientist oversees a small portfolio of value-creating applications of enterprise-level AI/ML with an ATB-wide impact. These applications can be varied in nature, from insights to pieces of larger AI capabilities. In all cases, they leverage AI/ML and require the Senior Data Scientist to serve as a thought-leader for both the organization and the team of specialists that help them to deliver. Though not responsible for an entire value stream - the Senior Data Scientist owns their portfolio from end to end, and applies their AI/Analytics domain expertise to help identify key opportunities, leading their portfolio of initiatives aimed at achieving ATB’s AI strategy.
- Supports the development of value-creating AI capabilities by contributing to and delivering against pieces of a technical roadmap.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to remove barriers to delivery against the technical roadmap.
- Responsible for delivering tangible value in increments.
- Responsible for creating clarity in the application of AI/ML to create value for ATB and our customers.
- Provides guidance to other Data Scientists and to the organization as a recognized technical thought-leader with a strong understanding of research methods, statistics + machine learning as well as a clear understanding of how related technologies enable delivery + execution.
- Responsible for navigating the architectural implications of different design decisions to ensure that solutions create not only value, but are also accurate, safe (i.e., adhere to all of ATBs Governance policies), scalable and reliable.
- Comfortable managing and partnering across the entire analytics value chain, including:
- Technical (code, tools, data)
- People (understanding the needs and coordinating the contributions of multiple diverse roles that contribute to a project: end user, developer, operational support, business stakeholders, senior leadership)
- Processes (coordinating across processes at multiple levels: internal, Data/AI, TIE, ATB)
- Value tracking (measuring the ROI/business value of data science projects at ATB)
An Analytical Entrepreneur
- Works with other technology and business Leads to define, design and develop applied AI capabilities - aligned to their portfolio - that create value for ATB and our customers.
- Able to quickly and competently address an emerging business problem and identify how the venture could create more value for ATB and ATB customers in both the short- and longer terms.
- Can identify, assess and prioritize the Analytics & AI Modeling needs of partners across the enterprise.
- Demonstrates fluency as a technical translator who can move from business needs, to technical solutions/roadmaps and back again to business value.
- Develops the roadmap/timelines for specific Analytics/AI Modeling/Reporting initiatives to deliver against the approved strategic business objectives.
- Actively identifies risks to end-to-end delivery and develops or partners around solutions.
A Technical Thought Leader
- Capably reasons through challenges with clarity, and with transparency so that junior colleagues and non-technical stakeholders can follow along.
- Directs and supports data scientists on all aspects of the AI model lifecycle, including: problem definition, scope management, data acquisition, the development of statistical/predictive/machine learning models, operational monitoring, retirement.
- Actively seeks out new innovations in the space of AI/ML and brings these learnings back to the organization. Is constantly challenging the status quo and is driven by curiosity to test out alternative methods and techniques.
- Monitors news and trends at the nexus between AI and larger economic and social challenges such as personal privacy, public engagement with data, the pertinent metrics for evaluating human activity progress.
A Strategist with an Engineering Mindset
- Comprehends and contributes to a vision of AI/ML capabilities, nested within an ecosystem of technology and can link these capabilities to meaningful customer problems that these technologies can solve.
- Provides advice and feedback to partnering resources (technical and product teams, vendors and creative designers) to ensure the ATB technological and AI foundation continues to mature and harden.
- Works within ATB’s agile delivery framework to contribute to a portfolio of initiatives aimed at achieving ATB’s strategic objectives.
- Manages alignment of portfolio with enterprise-level standards to drive business value and ensure quality and consistency in delivery.
- Guides thought and technical practice for Data Science development teams - creating repeatable patterns and methodologies that ensure modelling results are safe, secure, reliable and adhere to ATBs governance policies for data, AI and ethics.
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or relevant field or other quantitative field and 3 to 5 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrable portfolio of successful experience with AI/ML - whether applied in industry, academic or other settings.
- Strong interpersonal skills and confidence interacting with technical team members from diverse backgrounds, as well as senior leadership and executives.
- An understanding of the application and value of Artificial Intelligence technical domains and the associated maturity.
- Strong analytical, research, and problem solving skills; detail oriented with strong process oriented analytical skills.
- Highly proficient in a statistical programming language, like Python or R, and a database querying language like SQL.
- Knowledgeable of data wrangling, that is, knowing how to deal with imperfections in data.
- Demonstrates a sound understanding of mathematics and statistics. The key aspect to this knowledge is understanding when different techniques are (or aren’t) a valid approach.
At ATB, we know that highly talented people can readily transfer their skills. If you believe your skills and experience are transferable, please consider putting your name in the running.
Online applications are preferred.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about ATB:
We are Alberta’s largest, home grown financial institution and for the last 80+ years, we’ve transformed people’s understanding of what banking can–and should–make possible. Today, 5,500+ ATB team members embrace a growth mindset in order to help bring ATB’s story to life, delivering happiness to our customers and team members alike. It’s why we’re also a highly sought after, award-winning employer. The best part is, we’re just getting started. Join us, and create happiness.
What happens next?
If you make the shortlist for this role, you will hear from us within 10 business days of the posting close date. We will also keep your application on file for future roles that you may wish to consider.
If your application is shortlisted, we might ask you to participate in a digital interview.
Stay in touch!
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs