Lead Data Scientist - Search
San Francisco, CA
Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future of retail is local. There are over 1M independent retailers in the U.S. and Canada doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of technology and data to connect a growing community of over 150,000 brands and independent retailers around the world. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products to sell in their stores. By empowering entrepreneurs with the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses can compete with big box and e-commerce giants. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
Job Description: Lead Data Scientist - Search
Faire is using machine learning to change wholesale and help local retailers compete with Amazon and big box stores. Our experienced data scientists and machine learning engineers are developing solutions related to discovery, ranking, search, recommendations, logistics, underwriting, and more - all with the goal of helping local retail thrive.
The Data Science team owns a wide variety of algorithms and models that power the marketplace. We care about building machine learning models that help our customers thrive.
As the Team Lead of Search for the Data Science team you’ll be responsible for developing machine learning-powered search ranking models and adding personalization to our search and discovery. You’ll determine answers to questions like, how relevant is this product to this retailer and how can we infer that in real-time? Can we create real-time embeddings of users' interests and use them to power rankings? How can we improve purchase flow? What techniques can we use to enable our A/B tests to more quickly converge when dealing with low sample sizes?
Our team already includes experienced Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers from Uber, Airbnb, Square, Facebook, and Pinterest. Faire will soon be known as a top destination for data scientists and machine learning, and you will help take us there!
You’re excited about this role because…
- You’ll be able to work on cutting-edge search query and understanding problems combining a wide variety of data about our retailers, brands and products
- You want to use machine learning to help local retailers and independent brands succeed
- You want to be a foundational Team Lead of a fast growing company
- You like to solve challenging problems related to a two-sided marketplace
- 6+ years of industry experience using machine learning to solve real-world problems, and a history of accomplishment and advancement in your Data Science career
- Experience leading a data science team and managing project roadmapping with data, product, and engineering teams
- A history of mentoring other data scientists, if not being a direct manager and scaling a team successfully
- Experience with search/query processing for product development to contribute to team strategy, and to lead model development without supervision
- Strong communication skills and the ability to lead and work with others in a closely collaborative team environment
Great to Haves:
- Highly recommended: Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, or related STEM fields
- Ability to quickly implement state of the art algorithms from an academic paper
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of over 150,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have offices in San Francisco, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Salt Lake City. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs