Data Scientist, Inventory Analytics
Brooklyn, NY (Rent the Runway HQ)
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Data is core to our growing business and has been ingrained in the company's DNA since its founding. The Data Science team is the engine that powers our data-driven culture. We extract meaning from RTR’s many, rich customer interactions and partner with decision makers across the company to turn insights into actions. Our team of well-rounded data scientists manages data models, defines and analyzes performance metrics, builds reporting, runs A/B experiments, and develops statistical and machine learning models.
About the Job:
Inventory is the largest asset on Rent the Runway’s balance sheet and among our most important competitive differentiators. We collect and codify a tremendous amount of information on the inventory we buy and how our customers use it. We are looking for a Data Scientist on our Inventory Analytics team to put this data to use, helping us bring more science to the art of fashion. In this role, you will partner with planners, buyers, and site merchandisers on the fashion team to bring analytical frameworks and statistical models to elusive inventory problems, such as inventory longevity, demand forecasting, pricing, network effects, and much more. Our unique business model - inclusive of subscription, rental, and resale - provides for a steady stream of novel problems. You will identify clever adaptations of solutions from other industries and flex your creative muscles to drive serious business impact!
What You’ll Do:
- Identify new opportunities to leverage data science (in areas such as pricing, demand forecasting, inventory longevity, and profit modeling) that improve buying and operational decisions
- Work with and develop ML models, perform A/B testing, and apply quantitative analysis and data mining techniques
- Determine and calculate KPIs to objectively evaluate inventory health and performance
- Contribute to our inventory data model, creating new reusable tables with built-in data validations and extensible architecture
- Build data tools and dashboards that empower various stakeholders throughout the organization
- You have a strong quantitative and/or technical academic background, such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Finance, or Physics (masters is a plus!)
- You have 3+ years experience in a data analytics and/or data science role, using quantitative analysis to solve challenging, real-world problems (background in e-commerce, supply chain, finance, or pricing is a plus)
- You have hands-on experience developing statistical models in Python and/or R
- You have a strong handle on SQL; you can comfortably navigate joins, subqueries, window functions, and common table expressions
- You have experience creating dashboards with a BI tool such as Tableau or Looker
- You have a track record of building strong relationships with cross-functional partners
- You’re able to communicate effectively with a wide-range of audiences
- You’re able to quickly learn new tools and data analysis methods
- You have a passion for data and its fundamental ability to create value
- You’re extremely curious and excited to dive into complex problems
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Science Consultant Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs