Senior Data Scientist, Conversational AI
San Francisco, CA
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our Car vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary!).
About the team and position
The Conversational AI team is a talented and humble group of people with backgrounds in Product, Design, Data Science and Engineering, that are focused on Human<>Computer interaction (HCI). Our core product is a communication platform that car buyers, sellers and Carvana Advocates rely on every day for a seamless car shopping experience. We focus immensely on the end-consumer and build our systems ground-up to deliver on that experience.
As a core member of our Conversational AI team, you will work across many areas of Natural Language Understanding and Computer Vision to power products that make it easier for customers to get answers to their questions and help scale our Advocate teams. You’ll own and contribute to solving Classification, Search, Q&A, Content Generation, and Entity Extraction models as well as evangelize their usage in Carvana’s broader product offerings. You will have the opportunity to work closely with our Product, Experience and Software Engineering teams to deliver impact on every aspect of the purchase process, from search to vehicle delivery.
What you’ll be doing
- Own and enhance our topic and intent classification models by researching and applying SOTA techniques and algorithms to help customers get answers to thousands of questions about the car-buying/selling/financing life-cycle (search, selection, financing, trade, purchase, delivery, service)
- Develop entity recognition models, and enhance existing ones (both proprietary and open-source ones like FB’s duckling)
- Contribute to solving Search and Q&A problems to help our Advocates find relevant answers and content from hundreds of training documents, which helps them service our customers better
- Work with our Data and Engineering teams to couple front-end systems with back-end data and ML inference services
- Communicate effectively with engineers, product managers and data scientists
What you should have
- 5+ years as a Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, or a Statistician
- Extensive experience in Machine Learning frameworks and technologies like Tensorflow, Torch, Keras, Scikit-learn, Numpy/Scipy, SpaCy, NLTK, Pandas
- Experience with Transformer-based models like BERT, RoBerta, GPT-⅔, CLIP
- Extensive experience in SQL and relational databases like Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server
- Experience with cloud APIs (e.g., GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Experience with Git
- Strong foundation in algorithms and data structures and their real-world use cases.
It would be great if you also had
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience with Scala, JVM
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Deep Learning and Computer Vision or related fields.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401K with company match
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally
- Access to opportunities to expand your skillset and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs