Lead Data Engineer
sennder is a European digital freight forwarder looking for a Staff (Lead) Data Engineer to join our Smart Logistics business area. The role is based out of the Berlin office (flexible hybrid home/office combo covid permitting) and will report to our Engineering Director. Do you want to help us shape the future of the logistics industry?
We value humility and we're as interested in your character as we are in your talent. Please apply, even if you feel you only meet part of our listed criteria. Diversity drives innovation and we offer an international and friendly work environment with an energetic company culture. Just be yourself and maybe you’ll bring something valuable to the role we didn't initially think of.
At the spear-tip of this digitalisation and automation is our “Data Platform Area'' which is leading in the organization the transformation towards the Data Mesh Paradigm. The “Data Platform Area” has set itself the vision to enable the engineering and product organization to build and operate their own data products and to generate insights from data at scale, by providing self-serve capabilities and by opening data knowledge and expertise silos. The “Data Platform Area” main mission is to provide data users with DataOps and MLOps capabilities in the form of self-serve tools and platforms.
As a Staff/Lead Data Engineer, you will work in our HQ in the heart of Berlin and report directly to the “Platform Area” Engineering Director. You foster collaboration, lead by example, take ownership, and thrive in a fast-paced environment whilst providing technical vision and strategy to help teams execute to the best potential. We value strong engineering skills, deep understanding of business, full ownership, high velocity, collaboration, and initiative.
sennder is Europe’s leading digital freight forwarder at the intersection of where technology meets logistics. Through our proprietary transportation operating system, built by our in-house tech teams, we not only connect shippers to our fleet of thousands of trucks, but also improve how they move products in sustainable, cost-efficient, and transparent ways - making the logistics industry fit for the future. In a traditional industry, we’re growing and moving fast to digitally automate all road logistics processes. You can be part of one of Europe’s latest growth stories as we fast-forward road logistics into digitalization.
Get to know us, our culture, green business, funding history, and more on our blog here.
In this role you will
- Supporting us with moving to a data mesh architecture, especially by creating our Data Mesh guideline and principles.
- Support with setting the technology vision and architectural direction for the different teams, execute against that vision, and agree on the target state.
- Defining the data flow and architecture framework, engineering standards and principles, including governance, modeling, metadata, and security and legal compliance.
- Support the tech and product teams to transition into an events driven architecture.
- Support the tech and product teams to embrace the DataOps and MLOps mindset.
- Continuously identify and resolve technical and data debt, quality issues and gaps in engineering processes.
- Continuously evaluate and challenge the tools we choose together to build our data stack.
- Promote and maintain a healthy culture of collaboration, knowledge sharing, and inclusion. Lead by example in line with the engineering and company values.
- Collaborating and coordinating with multiple departments, stakeholders, partners, and external vendors.
Preferably you have
- Solid practical experience (6+ years) in building data products, and preferably experience as a data architect.
- We are moving towards implementing the Data Mesh paradigm, and we want to see you as one of the leaders driving it.
- Practical experience working with different stakeholders such as engineering managers and directors, tech leads, product managers, and business owners.
- Track record of delivering technical initiatives, influencing technical strategy and decision making across multiple teams.
- A proven record of identifying, communicating and driving technical investments without supervision.
- Python is our weapon of choice and we expect you to know it well.
- Experience with building blocks of modern data pipelines and data streaming (especially Kafka). You are familiar with a variety of architecture patterns such as CDC, events sourcing, CQRS, EDA, Lambda.
- You know how data tracking should work and what is required in order to implement a data tracking plan.
- Strong expertise in SQL and data modeling. Preferably you have experience with building Data Lake / DWH and BI solutions and you know the difference between Data Lake and DWH.
- You have worked with distributed systems and microservices setups. You understand related challenges like communications between services, fault tolerance, and performance trade offs.
- You understand the importance of DataOps and MLOps, have practical experience with containers, CI/CD, and data infrastructure.
- You have practical experience working with Data Scientists and ML engineers.
- Superb communication skills in English.
We expect you to
- Be passionate about doing great work, and pragmatic about getting things done.
- Take ownership from day one and act as an entrepreneur.
- To be able to communicate clearly and effectively. Explaining technical concepts to non technical stakeholders is something that you enjoy doing.
- Proactively provide solutions for complex business problems, enabling insights that can empower better decision-making.
- Define and share best practices of data product management across the organization.
- Mentor and coach other engineers.
- Be a decent human being. Be willing to help other people and share your expertise.
What you can expect
- A fast-growing company, transitioning from startup to scale-up, where your work will make an impact on our growth and lead to several career opportunities.
- An international team of 800+ people with 65+ nationalities spread across 7 country offices with English as our company language.
- A quarterly feedback and review process for personal development. We also use “Objectives and Key Results” for company goals.
- A structured promotion process, providing everyone with fair and transparent career growth.
- Learning and development opportunities on the job and through conversations with your manager.
- Various opportunities to connect with colleagues, formally and informally, digitally or in person (when allowed), through regular team events, company get-togethers, and partnership events with other companies and local organizers.
- When in office: unlimited snacks, drinks, and fruits.
- Compliance with COVID-19 restrictions when required with remote interviews, onboarding, and working.
At sennder, we want to maximize the individual’s potential for all employees and reinforce an inclusive culture and environment of continuous learning that empowers people to succeed as a team. In addition to humility, we value commitment, team spirit, respect, and kindness to build trusted relationships across teams. Learn more on our career site.
Please send your application in English and help us reduce negative unconscious bias by leaving out your picture, age, address, and other unnecessary information in your CV. We only want to know the merits on which you’d be great for this role.
If you have any questions or problems please reach out to us firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not accept applications via email.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Science Consultant Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs