Data Analyst - Platform
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
How I will spend my days...
The Platform department is working to enable the rest of the Ecommerce stream to deliver value faster and with greater autonomy. This role will be vital in supporting our product and engineering teams to identify the greatest opportunities and evaluate the success of various initiatives. Platform is a new department and we are looking for a self-starter that will bring focus to insight and data-driven decision making within the department. You’ll perform sophisticated analyses in support of platform design and development, evaluating the efficacy of software delivery performance and tools in the eCommerce platform and working with the development teams to ensure that the necessary data is being produced so that these analyses can be completed. Alongside this you will support the consumer-facing side of Ocado Smart Platform performing sophisticated analysis on, such as, the customer journey.
What I will be doing...
- Provide analytics support to the eCommerce Platform department.
- Defining and developing KPIs in partnership with engineers and product managers to support both department missions and Ecommerce
- Create dashboards and automated reports that provide insight to platform behaviour.
- Work with the developers to ensure that we are capturing the correct data in an easily accessible way to enable future analysis of platform and customer behaviour.
- Build relationships across the business, describing insights with empathy and conviction
- Identify and build reusable solutions to enable analysis to build on previous work
- You will be helping to answer questions like:
- How can we improve our software delivery performance?
- How can we improve the efficiency of support time?
- Are developers and teams using the tools we provide, how can we improve useability?
- How can we improve the effectiveness of our customer journey in recruiting and keeping customers?
- What impact will activities have on our KPIs?
- Identifying the fundamental metrics / KPIs behind OSP, the levers that drive them and use these to help product managers unlock and track the value delivered by our products. Conducting analysis and applying your expertise in quantitative analysis, data mining, and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand how our users interact with products across platforms.
- Identifying and building reusable solutions to enable analysis to build on previous work.
- Channel the voice of the customer into the department by bringing the data to life, building empathy for our customers throughout the development community.
- Problem solving
- Collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders to solve problems and identify trends and identify opportunities.
- Feature Support
- Informing, influencing, supporting, and executing our product decisions and product launches.
- Stakeholder Management
- Building relationships across the business, describing insights with empathy and conviction
The essential Toolkit we're looking for is...
- Significant demonstrable experience in a Data / Business Analyst role
- Can-do attitude in a fast-paced, complex and often ambiguous environment
- Strong bias for action and impatience for improvement
- Commercially-aware and user-focused - ability to understand needs and identify priorities to unlock value through analytics
- Designing KPIs and Metrics that Matter
- Applying data analysis techniques and mathematical methods to complex problems
- Large/complex datasets, SQL and Python
- Data-warehousing principles and best practices (e.g. Dimensional Modelling, Cube Design)
- Building self-service BI solutions e.g. Tableau, Looker, DataStudio
- Statistical analysis
- Active listener
- Ability to simplify the complex and tailor output for any audience
- Able to bring different skills and personalities together to deliver great outcomes
It would be great, but not essential, if you have experience in...
- Google BigQuery
- Domain knowledge: Ecommerce, Supply Chain, Fulfilment or Logistics
- Experience of A/B testing implementation
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Data Specialist Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs