Data Scientist, Machine Learning
We're looking for a curious, adaptable Data Scientist to join our Machine Learning team at Monzo who is excited to help build the best bank account in the world. You'll have the opportunity to analyse, build, deploy and improve the machine learning systems that delight and protect our customers and help our customer support agents to operate swiftly and efficiently.
At Monzo, we're building a bank that is fair, transparent and a delight to use. We’re growing extremely fast and have over 5 million customers in the UK, with over 100,000 new people joining every month. We’ve built a product that people love and more than 80% of our growth comes from word of mouth and referrals.
We are looking for people who are passionate about changing the way the industry works and who share our values. We believe in an open, transparent, highly diverse working environment where everyone is empowered to make changes. Following Stripe’s example, all emails in the company are available for everyone to explore, and we discuss everything in Slack channels which are accessible by everyone in the company. You can see more about our plans on our public product roadmap, and sneak peeks of upcoming features in our community forum.
The data team
The data team's mission is to
Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
This mission encompasses three major areas of work: (1) product analytics, to help teams understand our customers and improve our app (2) domain analytics, to support teams who are working in specific banking disciplines (e.g., lending, finance, and financial crime), and (3) machine learning, where we design and build system that automate decisions across Monzo. While we take a flexible approach and frequently help each other across these areas, we each have one domain that is our primary focus.
For this role, we are looking for a Data Scientist who will focus on machine learning. The machine learning team partners with squads across all of Monzo to design, build, and experiment with machine learning systems that help them achieve their goals. For example, see our recent work with related articles in the app help screen, and the approach we took when building the help screen's search algorithm. This team is currently five Data Scientists and one backend Engineer - you can read about the shape of our team in 2020 here.
You’ll be joining the team to focus on production machine learning, working with many squads across Monzo to design, build, analyse, and experiment with machine learning systems that make use of the data we gather.
We organise our machine learning projects into three distinct phases; you'll spend your time doing all three:
- Explore. We use BigQuery and Jupyter Notebooks to analyse data and design machine learning models for offline evaluation. For example, we are investigating machine learning powered assistants for our customer operations team, classifiers to detect financial fraud, and NLP models to improve the app's help screen.
- Launch. We build Python micro services and cron jobs to put promising machine learning models into production. We are actively working on automating as much of this step as possible: our goal is for any Data Scientist to be able to deploy a promising new model to production in less than a day.
- Iterate. We run A/B tests in partnership with other teams and analyse the results. Based on outcomes, we may decide to roll the model out to every customer or to explore improvements to the model for further testing.
What’s special about data & machine learning at Monzo?
Autonomy. We believe that people reach their full potential when you can remove all the operational obstacles out of their way and let them run with their ideas. This comes together with a strong sense of ownership for your projects. At Monzo, you will get full access to our data and analytics infrastructure. When you discover something interesting, there is nothing stopping you from exploring and implementing your coolest ideas.
Cutting-edge managed infrastructure. All our data infrastructure lives on the Google Cloud Platform, so you don't need to spend your time configuring or managing clusters, databases, etc. If you want to train a Machine Learning model faster, just submit your training job to the Google AI Platform, no DevOps skills required.
Automation. We aim to automate as much as we can, so that every person in the team can focus on the things that humans do best. As with all data science work, there’s some analysis and reporting, and as much as possible we encourage self-serve access to our data through Looker.
You should apply if:
- What we’re doing sounds exciting, and you can’t wait to explore our data
- You're impact driven and eager to have a real positive impact on the company, product, users and very importantly your colleagues as well
- You have a self-starter mindset; you proactively identify issues and opportunities and tackle them without being told to do so
- You're a team player whom your colleagues can rely on
- You have a solid grounding in SQL and Python, and are comfortable using them every day
- You’re happiest exploring data, designing and evaluating machine learning models and seeing these projects all the way through to production
- You're excited about the potential of machine learning and can communicate those ideas to colleagues who are not familiar with the domain
- You’re adaptable, curious and enjoy learning new technologies and ideas
We can help you relocate to London and we can sponsor visas.
Our interview process typically consists of a 30 minute initial phone screen, a take-home test, and a half-day on-site interview. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions, and we won't make you code on a whiteboard.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs