Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
Data Science is responsible for designing cutting-edge machine learning and optimisation techniques to convert data into important business insights and efficient operations.
We focus on machine learning and optimisation problems across Ocado’s E-commerce - from recommending products to customers, to search optimisation and intelligent substitutions. Our data is stored in Google BigQuery, we work primarily in Python for machine learning and use frameworks such as Spark and TensorFlow. We are looking for someone with experience in developing and optimising search engines as we seek to improve the personalisation and performance of our existing engine for our OSP platform.
Role & Responsibilities:
As a Data Scientist you will work closely with the team lead, management, other data scientists and software engineering teams to identify, scope, plan and manage projects, and effectively communicate complex technical issues and findings to a range of technical and non-technical internal audiences.
You will work on projects in all the areas touched by data science, dealing with complex problems and having a real impact on the operational performance of the company. You will be given autonomy in how you approach these problems and will be encouraged to research and seek out innovative solutions.
Communication is key; you will be in constant contact with business stakeholders and will need to work with developers both within the team and in other technology teams to ensure that your solutions are properly productionised and can be supported.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A strong academic record including a postgraduate degree in mathematics, statistics, or related fields.
- Demonstrated computer programming ability including fluency in two or more of Python, Java (or equivalent), and SQL.
- Experience conducting analysis on large data sets and providing rigorous interpretations of the results.
- The ability to model complex problems mathematically and/or computationally, and appropriately apply results obtained using those models.
- A solid understanding of key statistical concepts.
- Machine learning or applied operations research experience.
- Successfully conducted research of significant scope – an M.Phil. or Ph.D. will be looked on favourably.
- Knowledge of common machine learning toolkits (e.g. scikit-learn).
- Knowledge of deep learning frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, Theano, Torch..).
- Craftsmanship – demonstrates breadth and depth of knowledge and skill; upholds quality and continuous improvement; can adapt the ideas of others; displays high levels of initiative.
- Trust – demonstrates high levels of trust between individuals and teams; espouses respect, openness, honesty and knowledge sharing.
- Collaboration – works well with others and actively contributes towards team/department/division objectives to enable high performance of own and fellow teams; displays the generosity to help others succeed at own expense.
- Autonomy – accepts ownership of what they do; relishes empowerment to drive innovation; take accountability and responsibility of own actions.
- Learn Fast – ability to learn fast through experimentation; understands that failing is acceptable; recognises the importance of learning from failure quickly, without attributing blame.
- Leadership – proven ability to inspire, motivate and empower others; able to make tough decisions and handle difficult situations and face major challenges with positivity, confidence and pragmatism; adept communicator.
What we offer you
What we can offer you
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment, where we invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in-house and external training programs available.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Flexible WFH policy
- Share-saving scheme
- Gym membership discounts
- Fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- English, Spanish and Catalan language courses
We are growing rapidly, making it a very exciting time to join, as we are currently at a brand new office in the 22@ district - the thrilling tech area of Barcelona.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Science Consultant Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs