Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality
Who We Are
The B2B Insights & Analytics team exists to drive optimal decision-making that improves our business customers’ FF&E shopping experience through Sales interactions. We seek to optimize Sales incrementality by identifying the most CLV-accretive Sales interactions with customers, as a critical driver of our flywheel. The data represents the voice of external customers (e.g. onsite activity, communication with Business accounts, orders, & firmographic data) and internal customers (e.g. onsite activity, communication between Sales representatives & Business accounts, CRM, and Sales Operations data). We source, interpret, and translate that voice into actions that serves our customers. Our team leads measurement - particularly around causal inference - and also plays a data challenger role to ensure the STO understands the “why” behind great customer experiences. We also partner closely with Data Science to jointly develop and apply machine learning approaches to drive growth, as well as with Data Solutions/Engineering, to ensure we have a strong, and high-velocity data foundation.
The team identifies opportunities and provides actionable recommendations based on hard data to grow revenue and improve efficiency. We strive to deliver better understanding of customers and improve the engagement model between Sales and customers.
We expect team members and management to take a high degree of ownership for their areas of focus, and execute on ideas and deliver results under fast-paced cultures. Beyond a strong academic background, a successful candidate will have experience successfully designing and launching A/B testing, measuring impact for unbalanced or skewed data sets, building models and/or creatively leveraging model outputs to improve the existing Sales program structures or Sales engagement models. We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, who approaches complex business questions with data and curiosity, who dives below the surface to identify the causal relationship rather than just trends, and who works effectively with technical and non-technical cross-functional teams.
What You’ll Do
- Owns the end-to-end roadmap and product development process for work impacting a material piece of a customer experience or customer-facing platform (internal or external); soliciting and prioritizing ideas with stakeholders based on the potential impact for customers and the level of effort required for implementation.
- Take a leadership role in ensuring we are focused on the most impactful business questions, translate into technical requirements, and determine the appropriate method to deliver high ROI results.
- Identify what modeling/analytical approach technique is best suited to answer the questions at hand, making appropriate tradeoffs and pivoting as necessary. Use GBQ, Python/R & Looker to wrangle Wayfair’s unique data to develop hypotheses, experiments and analyses that point to the most significant business growth opportunities.
- Identify the relevant software/technology, and build scalable tools that can be used as the foundation for others. Able to incorporate more advanced design elements into visualization/databoards.
- Proactively contribute to developing the organization's talent & management (either direct reports or indirectly through cross-functional or project work): do so by offering timely feedback on work product, offer career development advice, or contribute to workstreams to improve talent development within their team/function/etc.
- Work closely with Sales, Program Management, Sales Operations, Marketing, Data Solutions, Data Science, Category Management, Finance, Pricing and other teams to develop and execute analyses and tests that lead to accelerating growth.
- Communicate findings and recommendations with relevant teams and leadership to drive measurable improvements in Sales incrementality.
- Data Driven Coaching: Enhance the coaching efforts of BAM managers so coaching sessions are more efficient and agent performance on our KPIs improves (e.g., identify which agent behaviors/sales skills most influence our KPIs leveraging NLP and topic modeling outputs).
- Identify Influenceable Customers: Identify high potential influenceable customers from the huge self-service customer pool, and drive incremental revenue by providing those customers with personalized Sales treatment.
- Sales Incrementality Recommendations: Provide actionable recommendations to Sales, Training, Sales Operations and Program Management based on program-level A/B testing to maximize sales incrementality and profitability.
What You’ll Need
- Masters Degree in Machine Learning, Statistics, Mathematics, or another quantitative field with 4+ years (or PhD with 2+ years) of experience working within an analytical role.
- Hands on experience with experiment design, implementation, and analysis (A/B tests, holdout tests, etc.).
- Hands on experience with statistical and ML modeling (NLP, customer segmentation, predictive modeling) to solve complex business problems.
- Hands on experience working with incomplete and dirty datasets and being involved with improving them in a meaningful way.
- Proven track record in leading and executing on analytical projects, including experience in defining vision and getting buy-in from technical teams and business stakeholders across the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts to non-experts.
- A passion for analytical work with a high bar for zero defect analysis.
- 4+ years of SQL and Python (or R) experience, as well as the understanding of query optimization.
- Ability to prioritize projects with a focus on business impact.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.