Sr. Manager, Data Engineering
Our Data Operations team is split into several functional teams. Split across four teams, Data Operations:
- Core Data Engineering: providing data ingest frameworks, storage, transformation, event processing and scheduling infrastructure.
- Core Data Warehouse Engineering: growing, in collaboration with Data Insights teams a cohesive enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Data Products: developing data products that facilitate experimentation and ML systems.
- Data Governance: act as stewards of data by extracting metadata from various data stores, and develop taxonomies and data standards for events.
We're looking for an experienced Sr. Engineering Manager to support these teams. You will work closely with your managers, peers, and executives to define and execute a strategy that enables Zapier to leverage Data.
If you’re interested in launching your career at a fast-growing and profitable company, then read on…
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Working on Diversity and Inclusivity
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
- You are an experienced data leader. You've led Data teams that service multiple departments. You’ve managed teams of managers and tech leads and helped each manager and team be successful.
- You are customer-focused. You have a track record of deeply understanding your customers, partners, and stakeholders. You have a passion for building products, services, and platforms that enable your customers and stakeholders to be more productive.
- You can sell your vision to your team. You have a good sense of vision, the ability to communicate your vision to others, and the ability to implement your vision and get results. You learn from others and continuously adapt your vision to match the needs of the company.
- You are a skilled mentor and coach. You have a passion and a track record of mentoring engineers and leaders while at the same time growing your own skills. You realize the best way to grow a team is by helping them to grow themselves. You're able to effectively share your experience and provide a clear framework for growth.
- You're a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You'll use written summaries and reports to communicate vision, strategy, plans, findings, and results to the engineering and full Zapier team.
- You can communicate about technical topics without unnecessary jargon. You translate unfamiliar data and engineering concepts into approachable ones for teammates with less experience working with those domains.
- You have helped teams resolve prioritization conflicts. You are able to deftly negotiate across multiple stakeholder teams to make sure the highest value work is identified.
Things You Might Do:
Zapier is a startup, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. Here are some things you'll get a taste of:
- Establish, communicate, and implement the vision for the Zapier Data Operations zone.
- Define and drive the strategy and long-term roadmap for the zone in collaboration with your teams and your Data Insights leads.
- Develop planning and monthly reporting processes for your teams.
- Own output and outcomes for your teams and the systems they own.
- Provide process mentoring and guidance for your managers and team members.
- Communicate regularly and effectively throughout our distributed organization.
- Ensure the members of Data Operations are pulling in the same direction while also making sure we’re leveraging their diverse skillsets.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
- As part of the data team’s T1 rotation, help non-Zapier employees use and understand the self-serve data resources
- When it is safe: As a global remote-first organization, we hold all-hands retreats 2-3 times per year in North America. As such, this role will require 5-10 percent travel.
About Data at Zapier:
Zapier relies on dozens of systems that emit data about Zapier and our potential and current users and partners. This data is useful for us to make a better product, better decisions, and understand our weaknesses and opportunities. The data team at Zapier pulls this data from DBs, APIs, and event streams, collocates it and then processes it through all the disparate systems to bring them together in a reliable, timely, performant, and easy to understand way to employees and systems that need it.
Data at Zapier is split into two organizations that collaborate closely: Data Insights teams focus on the Data needs of specific domains and departments within Zapier. Data Operations provide infrastructure, products, expert consulting, tools and standards to empower them and deliver a warehouse and data products that can serve novel and unanticipated use cases.
Our stack is best summed up by: AWS Redshift (and the related AWS products AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Airflow, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Python, and NiFi. But we're pragmatic -- for example, we have some Java for ingesting data from Kafka, and we've used Clojure for inferring schema and other information about data sets.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle. We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.Our distributed environment lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.