SAR AI/ML Engineer, Lead
Make Impossible Possible in New Space - Join ICEYE
ICEYE is building and operating its own commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
We launched the world’s first small SAR satellite in January 2018. To date, ICEYE has successfully launched a total of 10 SAR satellite missions and has raised $152M in financing. We don’t plan to stop - join our team and let’s achieve great things together!
ICEYE is a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from more than 40 countries and subsidiaries in the US, UK, Spain, and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from a range of areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork, curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
To support the growth of the company, we are looking for a SAR AI/ML Engineer to lead our Machine Learning Team in the Helsinki area, Finland or Luxembourg. The Machine Learning team is part of the Analytics department.
This team is responsible for developing and deploying full-stack machine learning applications that leverage ICEYE’s cutting-edge imagery and SAR phenomenology to create unprecedented capability in scaling remote sensing solutions in the domains such as deforestation and natural catastrophe.
To help drive the growth of our analytics team, we are seeking a Lead AI/ML Engineer with machine learning expertise applied to remote sensing data. You will develop and lead a team to build cutting-edge, scalable, cloud-based AI/ML pipelines for feature extraction from synthetic aperture radar (SAR) imagery. This team will create, apply, and repurpose traditional computer vision (CV) techniques to use the novel, high-resolution ICEYE SAR imagery. You will use tools such as TensorFlow, MXNET, and PyTorch in an AWS EC2 environment to create deep learning, containerized applications that can be asynchronously scaled against our own petabytes of imagery. You will help architect optimal ways to create SAR-based ML pipelines. You & your team will develop techniques to organize & version control SAR training data. Our current solution space includes natural disaster, environmental, and maritime components.
What you will do:
- Manage team priorities, objectives, and jira backlogs
- Contribute, as needed, on code development, deployment, data curation.
- You will help grow junior team members.
- Work in the Analytics team with other scientists and engineers to develop broader algorithmic workflows & pipelines;
- Create and be comfortable with both, quick MVP solutions and longer term sustainable solutions. You must understand when to take one or both of these approaches;
- Lead in end user / user story creation sessions to uncover necessary features for implementation;
- Train deep learning models or other machine learning models in a cloud-based environment;
- Dockerize & deploy ML models as cloud services, with assistance from other Software Engineers;
- Collaborate closely with the broader Analytics and Software teams.
- Take on cutting edge research in applied machine learning for SAR
What you need to succeed:
- Passionate about machine learning and ML applications with novel datasets
- Excited to lead & build a team
- Engaged in the broader AI/machine learning community
- An expert with geospatial machine learning applications
- Happy to lead and grow teams of 5-10 people
- Constantly pondering ways to apply novel new open-source ML to unique data sets
- Very knowledgeable with deep learning using PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, and/or MXNET in a cloud environment
- Very efficient (if not an expert!) in Python, geopandas, GDAL, AWS EC2/S3 (+GPU compute), PostgreSQL, Docker
- A Data Scientist, Computer Scientist (or equivalent)
- New to SAR? No worries! You are a quick learner with demonstrated expertise in geospatial applications.
What we offer:
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- Occupational healthcare, occupational and private insurance
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e. on sport, transport, wellness, lunch, etc.)
- Relocation support (i.e. flight tickets, accommodation, relocation buddy program)
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enabling you to focus
- Regular internal events for employees (e.g. sports events, team-building events, parties, etc.)
- A wide variety of best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission
Unleash your potential with us and join our next space missions coming soon!
We are looking forward to receiving your application in English as soon as possible.
Please note that in accordance with ICEYE’s policy, voluntary consent for background checks is required for individuals being considered for employment globally.