Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
What does the team do
Data Science is responsible for designing cutting-edge machine learning and optimisation techniques to convert data into important business insights and efficient operations.
We focus on machine learning and optimisation problems across Ocado’s ecommerce - from recommending products to customers, to search optimisation and intelligent substitutions. Our data is stored in Google BigQuery, we work primarily in Python for machine learning and use frameworks such as Spark and TensorFlow.
What would I be doing?
- As a Data Scientist you will work close with the team lead, management, other data scientists and software engineering teams to identify, scope, plan and manage projects, and effectively communicate complex technical issues and findings to a range of technical and non-technical internal audiences.
- You will work on projects in all areas touched by data science, dealing with complex problems and having a real impact on the operational performance of the company. You will be given the autonomy in how you approach these problems and will be encouraged to research and seek out innovative solutions
What we are looking for
- A strong academic record including a postgraduate degree in mathematics, statistics, or the sciences.
- Demonstrated computer programming ability including fluency in two or more of Python, Java (or equivalent), and SQL.
- Experience conducting analysis on large data sets and providing rigorous interpretations of the results.
- The ability to model complex problems mathematically and/or computationally, and appropriately apply results obtained using those models.
- A solid understanding of the key statistical concepts.
- Machine learning or applied operations research experience
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Successfully conducted research of significant scope - and M.Phil. or Ph.D will be looked on favourably
- Knowledge of common machine learning toolkits (e.g. scikit-lean).
- Knowledge of deep learning frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, Theano, Torch..).
- Experience working on recommender systems or search optimisation.
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.