Lead Data Scientist
Chicago, IL, San Francisco, CA, New York, NY
Passionate about making a difference in the world of data-driven precision medicine?
With the advent of genomic sequencing, digital imaging, and techniques for large-scale clinical data processing, we have powerful new weapons in the data-driven fight against cancer. We're on a mission to connect an entire ecosystem to redefine how genomic and clinical data is used for evidence-based medicine.
On the Outsights team at Tempus, we are data-savvy analysts and scientists helping our partners in the pharmaceutical industry maximize the value they get from our real-world data. We work directly with external analysts, scientists, and business stakeholders to understand their goals, translate those into scientifically robust hypotheses, and analyze Tempus data to answer their scientific questions.
We are seeking a highly motivated and capable data analytics or data science leader with an interest in oncology and improving the lives of cancer patients using data. This position requires experience managing teams and projects, demonstrated leadership in statistical analysis or data modeling, outstanding communication skills, and excellent attention to detail. Candidates should have experience working with healthcare data, with real-world clinical data being particularly valuable.
What you’ll do
As an analytical lead on the external-facing data science team at Tempus, you’ll be on the front lines of our collaborations with external partners, helping them get analytically robust insights from our unique cancer datasets. You will lead one or more data analysts/scientists, managing an analytical portfolio of projects and data deliveries for high-profile Tempus clients. You will go deep into the Tempus data to analyze it on behalf of our clients, manage operations for QA’ing and delivering that data for external use, communicate technical results to stakeholders, and coordinate with other Tempus teams to answer cross-functional questions. You’re deeply curious about science and analytics and are constantly looking for larger trends, opportunities for us to do more for patients with our data, and like to be on the leading edge of building new tools, adopting new technologies, and figuring out how to solve problems on the fly.
- 5+ years of professional analytical or scientific experience, including 2+ years of person management experience
- Experience working with healthcare data: EHR codes, clinical trial data, and unstructured data from physicians’ notes are especially relevant
- Fluency in SQL, as well as R or python
- Excellent project management skills: defining research questions, writing scientific roadmaps, tracking progress against those roadmaps, aligning scientific results with business outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- Collaborative mindset, an eagerness to learn and a high integrity work ethic
- Experience managing and mentoring direct reports and cross-functional teams
- Experience working with clinical cancer data (progression free vs overall survival, clinical trial design, data imputation and managing missing variable bias, etc)
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in biostatistics, epidemiology, public health, data science, predictive analytics, or related field
- Familiarity with the oncology pharmaceutical landscape
- Experience doing inferential statistics on observational data
- Experience with version control, software testing, AWS technical stack
- External outreach or education (consulting, giving talks, teaching, open source contributions)