Data Science Team Leader - Robotics
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, UK
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
As the Data Science Team Leader you will be responsible for building a new team, initially with two Data Scientists but quickly growing larger. The tech stack will be focussed on Google Cloud Platform for capturing data and building models, then helping software engineers to transfer and run those models on the bots' embedded systems. Training models offline then deploying to semi-autonomous systems is an exciting challenge and we are at the beginning of that journey - this is a great opportunity to shape that process. Be part of our journey!
Your key responsibilities as a Data Science Team Leader include:
- Lead the team to research, prototype and deploy sophisticated smart systems within the Retrieval Robotics area of the Ocado Smart Platform. This covers areas such as: understanding and optimising hardware error rates and total lifecycle cost; exploring and deploying embedded systems providing diagnostics information, enabling predictive maintenance and making smarter decisions about system condition.
- Work with the Retrieval Robotics Head of Data Science, Engineering Managers and Product teams to input into the Data Science roadmap - helping to prioritise and align with the area’s overall goals and missions.
- Support team members who are embedded into cross-functional product teams.
- Facilitate the continuous improvement of your team with mentoring, coaching, 1:1s and feedback.
- Take line management responsibility for the members of your team.
- Recruit people into the team if required and assist other teams with their recruitment.
- Encourage knowledge sharing initiatives and help build the data science community within the stream and across Ocado Technology
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- A strong data science background including solid coding skills: ideally including Python and Java.
- Good knowledge of traditional ML techniques including time series forecasting and deep learning.
- Experience of coaching and developing others.
- Cultivating a team environment which is innovative, motivational, highly-productive and adaptive to rapid change.
- Able to lead sophisticated research projects.
- Skilled in collaboration both within and between teams/departments.
- Experienced in Agile e.g. Scrum or Kanban, and Continuous Delivery.
Bonus points if you have:
- Knowledge of hardware condition monitoring and modelling techniques
- Experience of running ML models on embedded systems
- Experience with whole-life cost optimisation
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.