Senior Data Engineer
Brooklyn, NY (Rent the Runway HQ)
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
The Data Engineering team at Rent The Runway strives to empower our teams to make business critical decisions that truly disrupt the fashion industry. We sit alongside data science, machine learning, product, and software teams and provide them with data pipelines, models, infrastructure, and reporting tools that are robust and reliable. We constantly challenge ourselves to ensure we're giving the best-in-class experience to our data teams, whether it's improving access to self-service reporting or deploying interesting internal tools.
About the Role:
As a Senior Data Engineer you will be responsible for the continuous improvement of every step of our data processing pipeline. You'll be a trusted partner in evolving our architecture and infrastructure as we enable a fast-growing team of data scientists and machine learning engineers. The ideal individual is proficient in Python development, ETL tools like dbt, data ingestion and modeling at scale, and building out cloud infrastructure.
What You'll Do:
- Build and maintain end-to-end data pipelines and models to support our consumer, inventory, operations and CX data science teams
- Ensure the health, stability, performance, and scalability of our data warehouse
- Continuously improve workflow productivity and provide confidence in data quality
- Own the entire lifecycle of of tooling and services especially around data storage, ETL, cloud engineering and infrastructure, custom and off-the-shelf applications, and workflow management tools
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product engineering teams to build reference patterns for delivering quality data
- Support the SDLC for applications built by data science and machine learning teams
- 4+ years work experience building workflow solutions for near real time reporting, data science, and machine learning, focusing on data ingestion, processing, integration, and ETL
- strong software engineering skills, including testing and deploy tooling, especially with Python
- SQL querying and modeling experience with multi-terabyte data sets and enterprise data warehouses like Snowflake, Redshift, or Big Query
- experience maintaining either proprietary or open source CDC tools such as Fivetran, Stitch, Singer, or Debezium
- hands-on knowledge of event streaming services such as AWS Kinesis or Apache Kafka
- experience with data workflow management tools, such as Prefect or Airflow
- Hands-on knowledge of cloud infrastructure and infrastructure-as-code tools are a plus. Bonus points for AWS, Terraform, and Ansible
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.