Adjunct Lecturer, Political Analytics – Big Data & Political Strategy (On-Campus, Spring 2024)
New York City, United States
Columbia University has been a leader in higher education in the nation and around the world for more than 250 years. At the core of our wide range of academic inquiry is the commitment to attract and engage the best minds in pursuit of greater human understanding, pioneering new discoveries, and service to society.
The School of Professional Studies at Columbia University offers innovative and rigorous programs that integrate knowledge across disciplinary boundaries, combine theory with practice, leverage the expertise of our students and faculty, and connect global constituencies. Through eighteen professional master's degrees, courses for advancement and graduate school preparation, certificate programs, summer courses, high school programs, and a program for learning English as a second language, the School of Professional Studies transforms knowledge and understanding in service of the greater good.
The School of Professional Studies M.S. in Political Analytics program is seeking industry professionals with experience in political science and data analytics to serve as a part-time Lecturer for an on-campus graduate-level course in Big Data & Political Strategy.
This position will involve two components. First, the lecturer will be required to develop the course syllabus, source course materials, create teaching plan, and make iterative changes based on committee review and feedback. Second, the lecturer will teach the course in-person on-campus in a 14-week semester schedule.
In this course, students will learn about the range of big data sources that can be gathered and aggregated, including public data, traditional and social media data, consumer and transactional data, web data, and data from machines and sensors. Students will become familiar with the ways in which both structured and unstructured data can be used to gain insights about political actors’ sentiments, attitudes, and opinions and to develop strategies to predict and prompt behavior.
● Lead class lectures, instructional activities, and classroom discussion.
● Evaluate, grade student work and assessments.
● Monitor and address student concerns and inquiries.
● Conduct weekly office hours.
Columbia University SPS operates under a scholar-practitioner faculty model, which enables students to learn from faculty that have outstanding academic training as well as a record of accomplishment as practitioners in an applied industry setting.
- Graduate degree in an area related to political science, data science, quantitative methods or related field.
- 5+ years of professional experience in a role involving political analytics.
- Knowledge of statistics, econometrics, quantitative analysis or related techniques.
- Knowledge and familiarity with analysis software (e.g. R).
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Doctoral degree or equivalent in a relevant field.
- Prior experience electoral campaigns, policy-making initiatives, advocacy efforts, or lobbying operations.
- University teaching experience.
Salary: 12,985.42 per semester-length course development and teaching
- Please submit a resume inclusive of university teaching experience.
- Must reside and be eligible to work in the United States.
Your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our AI, ML, Data Science Salary Index 💰
Perks/benefits: Career development
More jobs like this
Charlotte, North Carolina, United … Charlotte, North Carolina, United States Full TimeMid Mid-levelUSD 56K - 105K * USD 56K+ *
Data Analytics EngineerAPIs Data Analytics Data management Data warehouse Engineering Git +5
Flex hours Flex vacation Health care Insurance Medical leave +2
Arlington, Virginia, United States … Arlington, Virginia, United States - Remote Full TimeMid Mid-levelUSD 80K - 135K * USD 80K+ *
Business Intelligence AnalystAgile Architecture AWS Business Intelligence Computer Science Data Analytics +13
401(k) matching Career development Equity Health care Insurance
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Data Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open MLOps Engineer jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open (Senior) Digital Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Lead Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Cloud Data Engineer jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Data governance-related jobs
- Open Databricks-related jobs