Senior Data Engineer
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Founded in Switzerland in 2013, Smallpdf provides a simple, secure, and reliable answer to heavy, awkward PDF software, and has become the most-loved and most trusted PDF software on the planet. We serve over 500 million users in 24 different languages, and in every country in the world—even Antarctica!
As one of the most successful startups in Switzerland, with staff from all over the world, we’re on a mission to make PDF easy. We love open-source and using the latest technologies to scale our distributed application to process millions of files every day.
As a Senior Data Engineer at Smallpdf, you will help us build a connected data infrastructure to power our personalization and recommendation efforts and our marketing automation as well as product and marketing analytics. You will work to ensure that the data we collect is accurate, complete, and available in real-time to enable key personalization and engagement use-cases. You will also work with our data scientists and engineers to enable them to run data pipelines and empower them with the appropriate tooling and services.
- Build the infrastructure required to ingest, process, and serve data in real-time in a robust, flexible, and scalable way.
- Design, implement, evaluate, and refine data pipelines to ingest, transform, and store data in real-time and batch mode.
- Collect & structure external data to feed internal services and our product teams to make better data-driven decisions.
- Develop tools & frameworks to empower and enable Data Science (and future ML team) in their daily work.
- Understand how data flows within various systems, ensure data integrity and availability, and organize it properly for reporting and analytics.
- Proficiency in Python, SQL
- Experience with AWS Redshift
- Experience with real-time data streams using Kafka (or RabbitMQ, Kinesys Data Streams)
- Experience designing Python-written data pipelines with Apache Airflow (or Pentaho), Lambda, etc.
- Experience integrating data from multiple sources, including DBs, product tracking, and APIs.
- Experience with BI tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau) and SaaS BI Solutions (Amplitude, Mixpanel, Leanplum, etc.)
- Based in Zurich or willing to relocate, this is an on-site role.
- DBA Skills.
- Proficiency in Scala
- Experience with Big Data tools, in particular Spark, Hive, HBase
Rated by Forbes as one of the top 10 cities in the world for work-life balance, Zurich is the place to work for anyone who wants more out of life. From chocolate, cheese, and Rӧsti to snow-capped mountains, haute couture, Swiss-made watches, and outstanding public transport, whatever it is that makes your heart beat faster, it’s all right here in Switzerland—and so is Smallpdf.
Smallpdf is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a talented, diverse, and inclusive workforce is our greatest strength. We strongly oppose any form of hiring or workplace discrimination against candidates or employees on any basis, including race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, philosophy, nationality, disability, or genetic information. We’re committed to fostering a safe, supportive environment where everyone can come to work as their full selves and reach their greatest potential.
By sending your application, you allow Smallpdf to handle and store your data.
Smallpdf does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Smallpdf and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.