The Allen Institute for AIAI2, founded by Paul Allen and led by Dr. Oren Etzioni, conducts high-impact research and engineering to tackle key problems in artificial intelligence.
Remote hybrid: Persons in these roles are expected to spend part of their time on-site in our Seattle offices and may occasionally work remotely from their home in the Greater Seattle area. On-site requirements vary based on position and team. If you have questions about Hybrid work arrangements for this role, please ask your recruiter.
Compensation Range: $162,170 - $252,990
Who You Are:
AI2’s AllenNLP team seeks a creative Research Scientist who has a strong foundation in natural language processing. Research Scientists at AI2 contribute to AI2's impact-driven mission in an exciting, fast-paced research environment.
The AllenNLP team collaborates frequently with researchers on AI2’s other teams focused on commonsense reasoning and the Semantic Scholar engine, among others. Our main office has unique access to researchers at the University of Washington, only 1.5 miles away. Researchers excited about such internal and external collaborations are encouraged to apply.
Who We Are:
The AllenNLP team envisions language-centered AI that equitably serves humanity. We work to improve NLP systems' performance and accountability, and advance scientific methodologies for evaluating and understanding those systems. We deliver high-impact research of our own and masterfully-engineered open-source tools to accelerate NLP research around the world. In 2023, we are leading the Open Language Model (OLMo) project, in collaboration with other teams across AI2.
Your Next Challenge:
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Author and present high-quality scientific papers and presentations for peer-reviewed journals and conferences
- Take a leading role in implementing software systems supporting AI2’s research
- Collaborate with and learn from team members across AI2, including scientists and engineers
- Mentor early-career researchers and interns on their projects
- Develop collaborative relationships with relevant academic, industrial, government, and standards organizations
What You’ll Need:
- A PhD with a focus on natural language processing or a closely related area
- A specific focus and publication track record in one or more of these areas: domain adaptation of NLP to specialized domains (especially technical ones); integrating symbolic and connectionist representations for language; experimental methodology; broad coverage models of semantics and understanding; efficient algorithms for NLP
- Excitement about collaboration and teamwork
- Past contributions to open-source research libraries, including (but not limited to) AllenNLP, and an interest in continuing such activities, are a plus
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- The ability to observe details at close range.
- Can work under deadlines.
A Little More About AI2:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 200+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. You may view the related Know Your Rights compliance poster and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision by clicking on their corresponding links.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to employees and applicants with disabilities to the full extent required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you feel you need a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the ADA, you are encouraged to contact us at email@example.com
- Team members and their families are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life insurance, basic accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and an employee assistance program.
- Team members are able to enroll in our voluntary life insurance program, our voluntary accidental death and dismemberment program, our health savings account plan, our healthcare reimbursement arrangement plan, and our health care and dependent care flexible spending account plans.
- Team members are able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan.
- Team members will receive $125 per month to assist with commuting or internet expenses and are eligible to receive up to $150 reimbursement for health and wellbeing expenses per month.
- Team members will also receive up to ten sick days per year, up to seven personal days per year, up to 20 vacation days per year and twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year.
- Team members will be able to receive annual bonuses and can participate in the long-term incentive plan.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the team members(s) of this position. Team members will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the team member(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at will relationship.
More jobs like this
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Data Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open MLOps Engineer jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open (Senior) Digital Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Lead Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Data governance-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs